Dumb Question, yes?

-

67 Power Wagon

Hemi Pawr or BUST!
Reaction score
Guys,
I just got to thinking (yes some of us do, do that at times!)

But, anyway, the OLD Gen 2 Hemi, 426. They were GREAT power producers, and had really high foot pounds, right? BUT, were plagued emission-wise. SO because of this, they were dropped from Production in 1971. BUT continued for racing. Makes sense?

WELL, the NEW Hemi's Say, the 5.7, they were brought to the new Emission tier what? 4? Anyway, they are SMALL block, right?

WELL the NEW 7.0 "426" is that like the old one and a big block, OR is that just a small "long" block? As well as the new "440". that too a long small block. Whats the difference from the old one to the 2 new larger "over" 400 CID.

See, to me, I'm not sure what they did here. I know we Mopar-fanatics have always wanted to see a true 440 Hemi. Sure enough even tho, it will never have the hype the 60's 426 did......

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the differences in the blocks with the different CID to them, and if the block is merely the same, just finish bored different to get a different Liter, or CID to each.....As I know those blocks are in fact heavy cast, in other words, thick walled.

I guess a dumb question, is the one, not asked, right?

i took this at MATS, some of your questions will be answered by the guys who made it happen

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdeRQDVwhMs"]SS And AFX Ramchargers Presentation MATS 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

Don't "overthink" BB and SB. Bore is bore and stroke is stroke, I don't care what the "name of the block is" The rest of it is piston dome design, combustion chamber design, and camshaft design, for the most part, and the rest of it "left over" is improvements in fuel and ignition control, IE EFI and spark controls which simply were not there back in those days.

"We" that is, "they" "the them's" spent a lot of time screwing around with sillyness like electronic controls on carburetors, lean burn and other sillyness, before finally getting right down to fully electronic fuel injection

Thanks for the response guys! See, my biggest thing is, size, to know what will fit into what......I've always played in garages and messed with motors that should not fit int type "1" car body, due to size... meaning of, IF the NEW 426 is of small block size, then meaning it should fit into almost ANYTHING with a small block V-8 in it already..........see? This is the issue with the old Generation 2 426. it was HUGE in size......For what it was, even the 440 Wedge, 440 Super Commando, were smaller in physical size then the 426, and it was less CID, but the block was cast, large for the sake of the heads.

The question goes to the type block was the second generation 426, a RB block, or no? I know the first 20 or so blocks were RB, as they were the 426 Wedge, or Max-Wedge motors, wasn't till Nascar tryouts that they cracked and needing beefed up a bit.....See?

Then to add to this, the new 426, and the BRAND new 440 Hemi, will those fit in anything with a 5.7 in it already, I mean drop in bolt up fit? NOT set up as far as controls and electronics and all that I mean, literal physical fit and bolt in place....OR are they a big block?

My neighbor has a new '14 pick-up with the 5.7 and he asked if any of the "new" old Cubic inch motors fit into the existing location without physical modification. And here I am a Mopar fanatic, and I couldn't answer him, but told him, I would find out.....

I mean he's got a 2014 Ram, all "Blacked Out" with the extended cab (4 door cab) but not "Crew Cab" with the 5.7 in it, and he likes my 67 better, and mine only has the 383 in it....Which is a RB block, and it makes a dwarf of his 5.7 Hemi......

2nd gen 426 from tge 60's=big block

3rd gen 5.7=small block
3rd gen 6.1 = different bigger bore small block
3rd gen 392, 426, and 440= stroker motors

The 361 thru 400 original blocks were "B" blocks 413,440, and 426 were "RB" blocks these were all considered " Big Blocks". The RBs were taller and wider than the "B" blocks. Even though Heads, valve cover, timing cover oil pans etc would direct interchange between them. The cranks and rods were different as far as journal size rod length etc. From what I remember even the 426 hemi heads would bolt to the other big blocks, but ( and this is going back 30 years so may NOT be 100%) had to have push rod clearance machined into the block. Someone at one point and time it seems sold a kit to bolt them to 440 blocks. To me the 5.7 hemi is more closely related to the earlier hemis (392) which were considered "small blocks". But with all the stroker kits today you can take an A block (small block) and achieve the same displacements as the "big blocks" from the factory. With this in mind these strokers utilize the same block whether A, B, or RB which in turn gives you the same external dimensions of the original engine. This thread may help answer some dimensional questions. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=228120

good info on that link Bob! WOW!

Now maybe I'll figure out what my neighbor was asking as I myself, was not sure if the new high CID blocks would be RB type big blocks, or A, B small blocks......The LA type motors, were any of those made, "Big Block"?

From what I remember even the 426 hemi heads would bolt to the other big blocks, but ( and this is going back 30 years so may NOT be 100%) had to have push rod clearance machined into the block.

The heads will almost bolt on (they fit any other "RB" block) HOWEVER there are 4 head bolt holes missing on the "RB" block accept, the HEMI block which has the bolt holes cast into them. (the extra head bolt holes are for extra clamping force I believe.

Someone at one point and time it seems sold a kit to bolt them to 440 blocks.

The HEMI head conversion for the "RB" is called Stage 5 HEMI head conversion. See here:

http://www.stagev.com/pages/hcheads.html

-
Back