Dumb Question.

-

66Dart225

Reaction score
Hi all. I took my dart apart so long ago now that I am putting it back together I can't remember if the radiator has a burp bottle or not. If it did I can't find it. Does the 66 dart with 225 use a burp tank? I know it's a dumb question but I can't honestly remember.

"Burp bottle" never heard of that one, are you talking about a coolant overflow tank?

Most did not. If anything, they were optional. None of my A-bodies (two 66s, 4 67s, 1 68) had one.

Most of um I've ever seen that early just puked it out on the ground. The EPA wasn't a bunch of out of control retards back then.

No bottle unless someone added it afterwards. They use to sell them at auto stores that looked like soda bottles and a wire holder. The advertisement was to keep the coolant off your garage floor. I remember my dad installing them for people at the service station.

Nothing had a coolant recovery setup as standard equipment until about 1970.
Not every radiator will accept a recovery type cap.

Thanks again I thought I was going crazy cause I can't find it anywhere I didn't think it had one but I took the car apart back in 2011 so I couldn't remember.

Thanks again I thought I was going crazy cause I can't find it anywhere I didn't think it had one but I took the car apart back in 2011 so I couldn't remember.

I tore my Barracuda apart in '07 and it likely won't be close to done until '15...

I had a 70 Charger R/T S/E 440, did not have one .I had to make sure i left it down few inchs on rad , or put antifreeze on the ground.

IIRC... If you follow the direction of the tube outlet, you'll see and likely remember those 3 little "tangs" down the side of the rad, that hold the overflow tube, and directs the tube thru a hole in the bottom of the rad support..

Attachments

• recovery.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 178
I had a 70 Charger R/T S/E 440, did not have one .I had to make sure i left it down few inchs on rad , or put antifreeze on the ground.

Leaving the coolant down a few inches is where it is suppose to be.
This leaves room for expansion. If you keep filling the radiator to the top without a coolant recovery system,it will continue to puke every time.
Some people fill it to the top,let it puke,and there's your level.

the reason the older radiators had a bubble top was because it acted as an expansion tank instead of an overflow tank,

On my 70 Barracuda, I found that a gallon antifreeze jug behind the grille would fit very nicely and just replace every few years instead of cleaning the bottom of the jug.

Very early A bodies did not as back in the day they did not care if a car "burped on the road"! Today it is illegal or irrational to allow your car to "burb" antifreeze on the road, environmentally unsound for sure!! I simply bought a universal kit attached the hose to my radiator on the 65 formula S and placed the coolant catch tub by my battery. It was simple and works just fine. No way I would allow coolant to just flush out anywhere and it keeps inside my engine area clean! Simple and inexpensive for sure!

65 CudaLover

My 66 has one even still has the mopar part # on it, And yep it's just like what Pettyblue said.

How can you identify the proper cap for use with the recovery tank?

-
Back