dumb questions

-

LeAnne

over-whelmed/under-funded
Reaction score
Over the last year, I've learned a lot about my 66 Barracuda here, as well as picked up a lot of other general knowledge about Mopars. However, I didn't pay much attention to the more technical stuff that didn't apply to me. Now I need help.

I'm going to look at a 71 Demon today. This is what the seller told me, and I'm not sure what sounds right and what to question.

It's got the original 340, 4 speed. About 100 miles since overhaul.
130,000 miles on odometer, but he doesn't know if that's correct as he bought it in Sioux Falls SD 14 years ago.
Says its "Hunter Orange", whatever that is (guess I'll find out later).
He said the heater core leaked and soaked the carpet so he pulled it out but hasn't replaced it.
Also said that it needs a master cylinder, but that the brakes still work, it's just the "booster" brake that doesn't.
He said that the brake lines and exhaust have been rplaced "recently".
Also has some bondo/putty around the wheels and on driver side rear.

I'm concerned about availbility of parts, since I've had trouble finding parts for the 66 Barracuda. I want to know that parts are not real hard to come by. What other cars would have interchangeable parts?

Not sure what other questions to ask, or what to specifically look for, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

LeAnne

LeAnn. Parts for a Duster Demon line are a lot easier to come by. But not like at every store corner. You'll have to turn some rocks to get the little things like trim and some interior parts. Most of the body panels and mech. hardware are on the shelf waiting for purchase. Though, sometimes, OE or repopped parts no not allways out there, there are upgraded parts to fill the void.

I just crossed a advertisement in the Mopar Muscle that someone has OE looking brake boosters for A body cars. (P/B style) HOwever, not every niche is filled.

Look into the classifieds and swap meets to help with missing parts and place adds in the classifieds on the web and news papers that cater to cars.

Don't be afraid to bargin, it's allways worth the shot. You may also wait awhile for that part. Took me years to find a decently priced and useable tail panel for my '73 Cuda.

OH, NOT! a dumb question.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leann, the mechanical parts are readily available from NAPA. radiators, brake master cyclinder, rotors, etc. As rumble fish said the trim parts are harder to find but are available and alot interchange between the A-bodies. As far as the mileage is concerned you'll never know as the speedo only goes to 99,000. All 38 year old cars have some bondo on them, even if it was only to smooth a replacement panel. Have someone carefully check the frames where the front suspension all mounts. It can get expensive to have the frames welded and rebuilt. It is illegal in some states to weld up frames. Pull up the carpet in the front as the windshield wiper seals leak and can rot the floors out under the carpet. As far as price, depending on how rough the car is dictates, an honest good running 340, {3500.00 to 8000.00) You must judge that. Hope I helped. Walt:pirate:

that bondo on the drivers rear sound like the 1/4 panel could have some rot and need to be patched

-
Back