Dust covers on Bilsteins

-

Backally

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ordered new Bilstins shocks, 70 Duster. The fronts come without dust covers. Is this normal? My only option is those corrugated type ones which I don’t like. The 4wd guys go without, claim they trap dirt/mud. I won’t be driving in mud though. Are the dust covers necessary?

17BCC339-0266-4E99-B95B-8D2CBAFA6293.jpeg

They don’t come with them, so you didn’t miss anything. Supposedly they aren’t needed, better seals etc now. If you wanted to run a cover you’d have to find a generic one, unless maybe you can find a part number from Bilstein.

Summit sells these, but even if they fit in the uca they’re ugly. Thanks for the reply

0C55C02F-EDF0-4458-AAC2-95B92F4F819E.png

We have been asked this many times and posed the same question to RCD/Bilstein and they state that they use a double lipped seal in cases where there is no dust cover. So there is no need for the cover.

Thanks
James

We never bothered with them on the desert racers. The brush and rocks just brutalized them anyway. Chances were the end would snap off the shaft before the shaft got a nick and boogered the seal. We carried spares.

Thanks James, I was pretty sure the function would be fine its the looks that I was after since I'm doing a factory correct restoration and these might look a little off. Hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread Backally.

Thanks James, I was pretty sure the function would be fine its the looks that I was after since I'm doing a factory correct restoration and these might look a little off. Hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread Backally.

-
Back