Dust in sealer,,,, WTH

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey all. Hope you day has been a great one. Mine was OK. I spent yesterday finishing the body work and sanding the car. This morning I blew all the dust off then went over it with a tact cloth. I sprayed the sealer on the car. Came back 30 min later and seen dust on the trunk and filler panel. :angry7:
Not sure the best way to fix it. Any sugestions from the pros here at FABO? I am not looking for a high dollar resto ride, just a nice ole' Mopar to drive around to the cruse-ins not to show. Thanks for any advise. :-D

Jeff, easiest way, wet sand the area with at least 600 wet sand paper and reshoot the sealer, try to confine the new sealer to the truck area, also a little old school, if you have a piece of chain or rebar, lean it against the body (inside quarter area) to ground the chassis to help eliminate that problem, its static electricty that might be causing the dust to migrate to your sealer, JMO

doug

You must notta wet the floor before you shot it.

Lots of things you can do to keep dust down.

Wet floor with water
When you wax and grease remove make sure you get every nook and cranny. Be meticulous about it.
Blow the car off, ever corner inside and out of the car. Blow from top down.
Blow off the car in a totally different area that you are painting.
When you tack a car open the tack cloth up, don't leave it folded up. Make it look like a loofah, yea, one of those fluffy things your wife uses in the shower. It will catch much more dirt and dust that way.
Do not press down when tacking off a car, just lightly dust the car.
If you press down you are actually transferring the "sap" from the tack rag to the car, that will make dust stick to the car.
You can use a alcohol spray to remove static from the car but you usually don't have that trouble with a steel body, more or less fiber glass is what gets static.
Make sure the area you are spraying in is SUPER clean.
Wear a lint free suit. You might be the dust problem :)

Hey all thanks for your info. Most of them is what I done. The car was outside the garage so the garage could be cleaned, blew off all the shelves doors everything then swept. Hosed down the floor then swept again. Car was blown off outside. Then I put the car in the garage sideways to have more room around it, jacked it up to make sure I got along the bottom edge good. Took tires off and put jackstandes under it. Wrapped a chain around the axle and rear spring to the floor. Then I tacked the car, unfolding the cloth and bunching it up loosly. I wet the floor and sealed the car. I started at the front and worked my way to the rear. The only thing I can think of that happened is, the rear of the car was the closest to the air compressor and it kicked up dust I had missed in the garage, or it came off me.
So I was hoping to shoot the base this morning, but now have to sand more, respray sealer, then paint later this am. And hope I can get the clear on this afternoon. I won't be able to do anything to it Saturday.
I just wanna thank all you guys and everyone here on FABO who have helped me get to this point. I will post some pics of our work later today. THANKS

Oh----- I even cleaned the air hose

The compressor is inside the shop?

remember the rear has rubber bushing connecting the springs to the body, try someplace thats metal to metal like the K frame.

-
Back