Duster 1970-1972 and 1973+ Door Difference?

-

fenderman33

Reaction score
Can someone please help me figure out what the differences between the doors are on the 70-72 Dusters and my 73. I need to get the window felts and the door weatherstrip, but everywhere I find only shows them for 1970-72. Why won't they work? If they won't, where can I get the right ones?
Thanks,
Jon

The pre '73 doors had the wing/vent windows on the door. The '73 and post doors have no wing vent window (the entire door glass rolls down).

You can find the '73+ window felts at various places (year one, Paddock, Laysons, etc) and the door weatherstrips from similar places (Metrommp.com or Steele Rubber).

I had to pick up both for my '75 Scamp which are the same for your '73 Duster.

1970 to 1976 Dusters Demons and Dart Sports all have the same door none came with the "vent windows", only Darts Scamps and Valiants had the "vent windows". The only difference I can think of is the doors interiors top edge. 1973 and up door interiors had a plastic cover panel where as the 1970-1972 just had a painted metal top edge. I'm not sure if you took the plastic cover off of a 73-76 model it would be the same as a 70-72 or not?

Heres 2 examples note the purple car a 73-76 model and the other a 70-72 model. hope this helps!

73-76 door.jpg

70-72door.jpg

Interior top & bottom of the 70 - 72 doors were metal and part of the door structure - with the fibreboard/vinyl panel in between. The '73 up variety used a plastic top section and the board/vinyl part went right to the bottom of the door. (Much larger than the earlier version.)

The interior door latch mechanism is completely different in design and location. There have never been vent windows on any Demon/Duster/Dart Sport.

I have also been told that the location of the hinges & door striker are different between the two styles of door, but I've not been able to confirm the accuracy of that.

-
Back