Duster 4 speed center console HELP! PLEASE.

-

airkiller

MOPARS Rule
Reaction score
I am doing a 74 Duster Restoration currently and have run into a big snag with the console. My car was a 904 automatic car with a bench seat. I am converting to a 4 speed and buckets. I have located a console and have refurbished it and have discovered the guy I bought it from did not provide the correct floor mounting brackets. car some one help me? My shop manual is useless and does not show a picture of the console installation. Does anyone have one that can be photographed so I can see what I need. Also does anyone have the brakets I need. If I understand correctly the brackets are welded to the floor and would need to be cut out or maybe some can be fabricated and bolted in. PLease help, I have invested over $600 on the console and need to get it installed.

Attachments

• dust30.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,156
  • dust31.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 965
  • dust32.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 973
  • dust33.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 1,041
Give 340plot a shout I'm sure he will know

I could be wrong here, but is that the right shifter?? I know it makes no difference with your console bracket question, but will the shifter clear your buckets?? Just a heads up is all

no, i think he has the correct shifter, as it has the one pice of metal comming out of the shifter base, that bends to the right, and the actual handle upright is welded to it.

as far as brackets go, you either have to make your own, or i think it was brewers has them. they are like 150.00 for them, which is robbery. i made my own out of 16 guage sheetmetal cut off of a scamp quarter. i just put my console in place, and measured down to the floor, and i made the bracket bigger and wider, just in case i was off some, so then i used a self tapping screw inside the console to get a hole, then took that out, and put the factory screw right in its place

I could be wrong here, but is that the right shifter?? I know it makes no difference with your console bracket question, but will the shifter clear your buckets?? Just a heads up is all

Look's like the correct reproduction one you can get from Brewers to me. Nice job, that's going to look sweet!

The other problem I am having is the shifter moves very far forward when in reverse and hits the front of the cut out in the console. How does one limit the forward throw? I have discovered that the bracketing that I was provided is not original because it bolts in, but it makes the console sit up like 2" higher than the top of the hump. Does anyone have pictures of a console installed without the carpet in place?

I'm pretty sure the console mounting brackets are the same for the 4spd and the automatic. There is a thread in the "Tech Archives" section with detailed pics of the bracket locations.

You need to get the hump installed before you can do much else.

If the brackets are too tall, that will be an issue as you found with getting to reverse. The shifter arc is wider when the console is lifted off the floor. The console should rest on the floor/hump or be VERY close.

-
Back