duster advice

-

m-wellbaum

Reaction score
hey ive found a 75 gold duster in the classifieds with a 318 automatic and bench seats for 3800 it needs a rebuild and a some minor body work (surface rust) and i was wondering if this is a good price and what kind of performance i could have with some work ive heard 360 heads are a good upgrade im young and in experienced so im just tryin to learn more about these cars ive been wanting one for a while(since i saw a 340 squeal the tires the first time i drove lol)id appreciate any help thanks

pictures of the car would help. 3800.00 seems high for a car needing a rebuild. 318 can put up some great numbers. 400hp or more is possible. 300 is very realistic. lots of help for that here when the time is needed. you are in the right place. take your time before you jump. there are lots of threads on here about 318 builds and the proper mods to get a drivable streetable type car, or a prostreet setup. research alot and be informed. goodluck!

Just my opinion, but personally I wouldn't buy any vehicle with any kind of rust problem (out here in SoCal rust free vehicles are available). That said, a paint job is very expensive out on the left coast unless you are like my friend that is a real pain in the rear and had his car painted at one of the places that start at an advertised price around 400 dollars. He snivelled, complained, whined etc and was a general pain, and, after they repainted it 3 times, he finally got a decent paint job (he's from NYC).

Painting (with no real body work) at a cheap place (hope you're a persistant complainer) could set you back at least $800 if you use one of the advertised cheap paint job joints (with no other body damage) and you sand and prepare the surface rust yourself. Engine work (you pull the engine yourself and reinstall it) could set you back $1000 - $2000. Hows the tranny. Don't forget its possible you may need the motor and tranny mounts replaced. Power steering pump, suspension rubber, door and trunk rubber etc. Its been my experience, and, not to discourage you, but sometimes its better to buy a newly restored vehicle and pay a little more, specially if you aren't going to do most of the work yourself.

Hope some others give their opinion besides me, because I'm estimating it on what it would most likely cost out here in SoCal. The more work you do yourself the less it will cost. I'm trying to be on the conservative side of fixing up a car and may be way off base.

knowing you are looking for your first car. gt340 advice is very true. it is easy to get stung. here is a really nice looking duster that seems a good fit for you. good looking body. slant 6 for gas milage. very nice interior. great base to start with. cheaper than the 75 gold duster you were looking at. only thing it is in nj , but you could drive up and get it. check it out at this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Plym...001QQitemZ110079214713QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Great advice from the two previous posts, you could have $10,000 total into it with a rebuild and light body work and paint. Dont want to discourage you, but better deals are out there. By the sounds of it, 1500 is more inline for that car. Gold Dusters are nothing special.

408duster said:
Great advice from the two previous posts, you could have $10,000 total into it with a rebuild and light body work and paint. Dont want to discourage you, but better deals are out there. By the sounds of it, 1500 is more inline for that car. Gold Dusters are nothing special.

I'm the original owner of my car and sunk a LOT of money in a real anal rebuild and I got most of the parts at 1/2 off list price, did all the disassembly and reassembly of the car down to a bare hulk, body and paint were done by a good friend that owned a body shop (didn't pay near the normal price). I basically changed the whole drive train, fuel system, brakes, springs, new interior and wiring. I don't dare post what the BLE engine and heavily modified/rebuild of the 727 transmission cost, in case my wife sees this. Trust me the restoral was more than 10k, and I had absolutely no body damage or rust.

My opinion, is to buy a car from someone that NEEDS to sell his restoral, because they will normally have twice as much invested as they can get for the car. You will save money in the long run. If you take your time you will definitely find something that you will like. Don't "just" settle, get what you really want.

And, I agree they want too much money for that particular car.

thanks for all the advice i was wondering what kind of price i could get with a slant6 preferably 72 i liked those tail lights that was the only year of those right and how tough a engine swap to a 318 or 340 would be i would like to have 300-400 hp that could be street driven ive got a stratus that gets good milage so gas isnt the biggest problem id like it to be decent but if it isnt its not the end of the world thanks again

you keep mentioning taillights??? what are you talking about here? 70-72 had the long flat taillights like these. is this what you are talking about?

1972 winchester grey duster.jpg

-
Back