Duster Door alignment

-

SGGDuster

Dreaming of Burnt Rubber
Reaction score
I've had a bugger of a problem getting the sag out of my driver door. I even nabbed a new hinge off of a Duster that had perfectly aligned doors in the junkyard, but no dice. It seems to be lined up until it's about 25 degrees away from being closed then it drops down about 1 cm. I tried loosening the bolts from the hinge to the door and propped the door up above where it needed to be, hoping it would drop down in place, but that didn't work either. Any suggestions? It's also protruding at the bottom a litte more than at the top. :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

Sounds like your hinge pins/bushings are worn. Did you replace both hinges or just one? If all is good try putting washers (or body shims) under the hinges.

Well, I only replaced the bottom because the top didn't move at all when I lifted up on the door. I guess I'll try swapping out the top hinge, too, though.

Thanks

my doors don't sag, but they're positioned wrong fore and aft. I have a 4 door, and the gap between the two doors is pretty big, I tried repositioning them, but it didn't take. any Ideas?

The Dusters/Dart Sports are cursed with big, heavy doors that exacerbate the hinge wear issue, not unlike just about any 2-door model with long doors. I had to shim the lower driver's hinge on mine even after replacing all four hinges with new ones. They can also wreak havoc on the strikers and latches as they get out of alignment, causing problems to develop there as well. Keep them oiled once you get it right to avoid the problems in the future.

-
Back