Duster expertise please!

-

mostrood

Reaction score
Hello, just picked up a really cool old paint Duster. Need help deciphering the fender tag please. It has 'gold duster' emblems but also has space duster rear seat, is this normal? Cant find any Duster with paint like this other than drag cars of that time. Any insight? Paint is old and perfectly done, seems factory but couldnt be. Thanks for the help!

20230521_142729.jpg

20230521_133038.jpg

Certainly not a factory paint job, that's an altered wheelbase drag-car?? Any insight on it's history at all? It may just be the pic perspective, but I've considered doing a conservative AWB for the street, paint codes aren't too difficult to find online.
LY6 would be Golden Haze, the base body color, the other color looks similar to the T5 Sienna for '74 cars. Cool find.

Last edited:
WOW! That is veery well optioned car. Yeah, the paint is NOT factory.
As far as the fender tag. You can google "Mopar fender tag decoding" and find all about it.

Interesting paint scheme. Fold down rear seats are a bit hard to find. I had one myself with a 318, 3 spd manual on the floor between the buckets, half landau top that had a moon roof and the 8-124 rear had a sure grip equipped 3.21 ratio. I’m not sure of the ex at color blue it was but I was told Petty Blue. The interior was white & black.

MyMopar.com IIRC can help with that decoding. I had a good bit of help here on my current ‘71 Buttescitch/Bahama Yellow 2 tone Duster.

Certainly not a factory paint job, that's an altered wheelbase drag-car?? Any insight on it's history at all? It may just be the pic perspective, but I've considered doing a conservative AWB for the street, paint codes aren't too difficult to find online.
LY6 would be Golden Haze, the base body color, the other color looks similar to the T5 Sienna for '74 cars.
LY6 would be Golden Haze, the base body color, the other color looks similar to the T5 Sienna for '74 cars. Cool find.
Thanks killer6. No info on it, some guys had it covered in junk under a lean to forever. $500, i couldnt pass up how unique it is- im a sucker for old decent paint especially if it has a graphic, stripes etc. The engine bays spotless like the /6 was pulled and prepping for v8 and it ended there. Weird they did the paint prior to making it fast.?

WOW! That is veery well optioned car. Yeah, the paint is NOT factory.
As far as the fender tag. You can google "Mopar fender tag decoding" and find all about it.
Thanks AlaskaJeff. I couldnt walk away from that far out patina paint, white interior and fold down rear seat. Unique car, ill get it back to rippin.

Interesting paint scheme. Fold down rear seats are a bit hard to find. I had one myself with a 318, 3 spd manual on the floor between the buckets, half landau top that had a moon roof and the 8-124 rear had a sure grip equipped 3.21 ratio. I’m not sure of the ex at color blue it was but I was told Petty Blue. The interior was white & black.
Im digging the fold down seat. My Dart has that moonroof you had. How did you like that 81/4? I think this Duster might have that, he swears its suregrip. I can barely see under there but it looks small, def not an 83/4.

Some of these may be incorrect

VH29:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Unknown
2 Door Sports Hardtop

C5G : Unknown
Unknown
St. Louis, MO, USA

142272: Sequence number

E24: 225 cid 1 barrel 6 Cylinder 145hp
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
LY6: Inca Gold Metallic (Dodge) Exterior Color
C4L3: Trim - Charger, Vinyl Split Bench Seat, Parchment
000: Full Door Panels
B06: Build Date: November 06
095971: Order number

V4L: Vinyl Canopy Roof, Champagne
U: USA Specifications
A55: 69 only Black Vinyl Trim Group
A64: Unknown
A91: 70 only Western Sport Special
B43: Manual Brakes

C73: 69 only Fold Down Rear Seat
G51: Unknown
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
J25: 3 Speed Wipers
J42: Unknown
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals

L73: Seatbelt Unfastened Lamp
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M25: Wide sill moldings
M26: Wheel Lip Moldings
M38: Decklid Finish Panel Moldings

N37: Unknown
K5X: Unknown
A1: Unknown
END: End of Sales Codes

Some of the sales codes books are available in the Hamtramck-Historical virtual library.
VIN decode is in the front of the parts and service manuals for most years.

OP can probably use those to narrow down what applies to his car.

Some of these may be incorrect

VH29:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Unknown
2 Door Sports Hardtop

C5G : Unknown
Unknown
St. Louis, MO, USA

142272: Sequence number

E24: 225 cid 1 barrel 6 Cylinder 145hp
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
LY6: Inca Gold Metallic (Dodge) Exterior Color
C4L3: Trim - Charger, Vinyl Split Bench Seat, Parchment
000: Full Door Panels
B06: Build Date: November 06
095971: Order number

V4L: Vinyl Canopy Roof, Champagne
U: USA Specifications
A55: 69 only Black Vinyl Trim Group
A64: Unknown
A91: 70 only Western Sport Special
B43: Manual Brakes

C73: 69 only Fold Down Rear Seat
G51: Unknown
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
J25: 3 Speed Wipers
J42: Unknown
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals

L73: Seatbelt Unfastened Lamp
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M25: Wide sill moldings
M26: Wheel Lip Moldings
M38: Decklid Finish Panel Moldings

N37: Unknown
K5X: Unknown
A1: Unknown
END: End of Sales Codes
Thank you SO much for the breakdown!! Wow, seems like a killer optioned car. That western sports special is intriguing. Thanks again- super nice of you to help like that.

You got a killer deal on a cool car to fix up! It looks like they painted the darker colored paint over the original gold color. The good thing is, you can make it anything you want! Enjoy.

:thumbsup:

not factory paint.

answered in your other thread
A91 is an insulation package
A64 is Gold Duster package

The decoders are REALLY bad once you get past about 72 model year.

This code is very interesting: C4L3: Trim - Charger, Vinyl Split Bench Seat, Parchment. Not to mention all the unknown codes? Maybe a broadcast sheet under the rear seat?

not factory paint.

answered in your other thread
A91 is an insulation package
A64 is Gold Duster package

The decoders are REALLY bad once you get past about 72 model year.
Thanks crackedback. That makes more sense.

Im digging the fold down seat. My Dart has that moonroof you had. How did you like that 81/4? I think this Duster might have that, he swears its suregrip. I can barely see under there but it looks small, def not an 83/4.
Yea man! That fold down rear seat is a cool option. I had mine about 35 years ago. Fun fun fun car. I would hand out regular beatings to my friends. The best beat down was my buddy who’s 350 Buick was otherwise the fastest car of the group and he started to talk some smack. I smiled at him, raised my hand to break into his babble and said, “Joe, I think you need to shut up before you get embarrassed really bad by my lowly 318 Duster.”
He paid the price!

The 8-1/4 rear is quite durable. I’d have no issue putting an honest 400+ HP to it and not worry a bit. You can still get brand new suregrip and other type positive traction differentials. As well as gear ratios. They’re not as wide spread as they used to be but there’s still a small gaggle of ratios and parts for them available new. I believe you can get ratios from 2.76/2.71 to 4.88’s.
Check the 8-1/4 / 9-1/4 parts at Drivetrain :: Other Mopar/AMC
and/or Summitracing.com for stuff.

Yea man! That fold down rear seat is a cool option. I had mine about 35 years ago. Fun fun fun car. I would hand out regular beatings to my friends. The best beat down was my buddy who’s 350 Buick was otherwise the fastest car of the group and he started to talk some smack. I smiled at him, raised my hand to break into his babble and said, “Joe, I think you need to shut up before you get embarrassed really bad by my lowly 318 Duster.”
He paid the price!

The 8-1/4 rear is quite durable. I’d have no issue putting an honest 400+ HP to it and not worry a bit. You can still get brand new suregrip and other type positive traction differentials. As well as gear ratios. They’re not as wide spread as they used to be but there’s still a small gaggle of ratios and parts for them available new. I believe you can get ratios from 2.76/2.71 to 4.88’s.
Check the 8-1/4 / 9-1/4 parts at Drivetrain :: Other Mopar/AMC
and/or Summitracing.com for stuff.
Thats a great race story and gives me inspiration because i was already building a 318 which will now go in the Duster. 318 w a rebuild 904 and either the 81/4 thats in it or an 83/4 i have already. Good to hear on the 81/4. Ill probably just leave that alone. Thanks Rumblefish

-
Back