duster grille blackout

-

mad dog

Reaction score
I did a search and read and read, i understand the process and why it was done.
I just got my car back from the body shop and want to black out that area, not sloppy like the factory did it, my question is what sheen, and brand of paint do you FABO experts use for this.
I would like to hear from the guys that actually did this before, i would like to use a spray can and i want it to look factory only nicer than a guy shooting it from a pit... Thanks..Rich

Dave, the car is painted a light color, I’d like to black it out

I have had excellent luck with (believe it or not) Krylon Satin Black. The Flat Black works also, but I like the Satin Black. I painted my car 10 years ago, and the Krylon still looks great. It is pretty easy to get the paint where you want it accurately. I have a good touch up gun, so I could have bought some more correct paint and sprayed it with that gun, but the Krylon works so well, I don't bother. Regardless of how you do it, mask, mask, mask!

Last edited:
I used the Duplicolor semi gloss black with ceramic.
Screenshot 2024-08-12 at 10.49.27 PM.png

Black undercoating works well.
I personally like the color shining thru but understand.

i've seen lots of original cars and it was flat black but a semi gloss is easier to clean if you are fussy.
It's a personal thing to most, but colour showing through can obscure a classic looking grill.
That's why the factory painted it. And it was not done with care if you want it to look original.

Thanks for thye replies, i am kinda over restoring the car so i want it neat. I agree that most that ive seen were a flat or matte finish but im leaning towards the satin that was recommended, i dont think that sheen will look out of place and it should be easier to clean than a flat paint.... Rich

USe some flat or satin black. I think body color looks unfinished.

Radiator Support Black Out.jpg2.jpeg

Radiator Support Black Out.jpg

mopp_1004_13_o+1967_plymouth_valiant+comparison_2.jpg

toolmanmike, thanks for the diagrams... thats how i was going to do it except i was going to black out the headlight buckets also. I know the bulbs and bezel hide that area but i didnt want to mask around that area so its all going black

-
Back