Duster hardtop, blasphemey?

-

yellowghost

Reaction score
Has anybody ever thought of hardtopping a duster? There a place that does custom bodywork, I am considering asking them if it can be done. Not so much bodywork required as is mechanical know-how to make the windows functional. Perhaps only need to modify parts from a scamp hardtop, who knows. I always thought it looks better as a hardtop since I photoshopped a picture of my own. What do you guys think?

Jeff

dusterhardtop2.jpg

I think it looks darn good myself.
Also, you didn't ask; but I really like those cop wheels body color too!
C

there isn't enough room for the quarter windows to tuck down into the body for it to work (trust me I tought about doing it to mine making them all power windows).

Not straight down vertically no, but perhaps to go down and twist clockwise as well. I think the chevelle quarter glass does that. Also the Mercedes hardtops, thats why you still see one corner of the glass when it is in hardtop mode. It if comes down to it, I will leave them non fuctional or perhaps a method could be divised as to have them removable, a method similar to those old pop-out sunroofs. When the need arises that it must be left unattended. I do not drive it even in the rain and obviously not in extreme cold weather. And thank you clhyer, those rear wheels are at the shop right now, being converted to 4 1/4 backspace, that's all I need now, before I can register and get it to the alignment shop. Then drive it for a month tops, then park it for winter. Bah !

The early A body's rear window mechanism rolls down in that fashion. You might look at that. Cool idea.

I'll have to look at the mechs in my chevelle to see how they work

Like the HT look.

I'm putting remote mechanical rear window adjusters from an old Caravan SE on the Demon. Still working out the details. Got the idea from a guy who put power tip-outs on a Dakota.

Blasphemy? You want blasphemy? Try the Demon convertible. This is not Photoshop-ed.

IMG_5492s.jpg

I've thought about this before as well. Looks a lot cleaner as a hard top. If only there was a way...

the is no B-pillar look at the top picture the hard mount for the pop out window isn't there.

I've always thought the Hardtop look for the Duster and Demon would be an excellent improvement to a fine body style. I had a 70 Duster from 1970 to 1976, but the only mods I did to wit was wheels, tires, a 727, an 8 3/4 Swap, some suspension mods, and drive shaft replacement. I never screwed with the body.

The issues I see with that mod is room in the quarter, that might require a "double acting regulator as has already been mentioned, and getting glass that has the necessary "eyes" holes in the glass to attach it to the regulator.

I love the idea, though! Good luck with it, and keep us informed on your progress.

Hmm just posted this same question over in the body section, never really look in general too much. I was thinking the same thing, a Duster hardtop would look amazing. A removable window isnt a bad idea either, but if someone could figure out a way to make them functional, that would be the ticket. How about having it swing down, have the lower front corner as a pivot point and have them swing into the quarter, even if it had to be done manually and have an attatching point ot the top front to lock them in place.

Butch

Maybe the quarter windows can be made to manually go into the body. I mean without window cranks just by hand and modify the latches to hold the window when pulled up in the closed position. Just my .02.

-
Back