Duster ladder stripe.....

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
Trying to decide on having the hood painted like the Duster Twister ladder stripe or buying the factory decal? Which would be better looking and more durable?

Disclamer..not my car pictured below. That is way to nice for me!

Orange71PlaidInt.jpg

the question would be how much time do you want to put in it? IMO painting with base clear is better and more durable, but it takes time and patients. the money is about the same if you do it yourself.

If I understand correct, the entire hood was painted the body color and then factory decal is the black section of the hood?

Still a long way to go, just researching to find out all I can.

If you look around you can find the strobe decal. Originally, the hood had the large black areas painted with Organisol black with the strobe and edge stripes applied in vinyl. The Organisol was a very fine textured semi flat black finish.

Nice looking Twisters in that picture. I'm working on the same idea down the road.

Does anyone have the factory diagram of the correct black out measurements for the "Twister" style hood black out?

I recently put this stripe on my son's Duster. It's available from Phoenix Graphics. On brendan's car we painted the center of the hood red (body color) and the sides black. The strobe stripe is a black mask that lays down over the red. It's important to match the black paint finish to the strobe.
It looks great. I'll try to post some pictures.

I am getting the mask kit from ChallengerGary. However the mask kit is for the center ladder portion of the hood. I am needing to know the correct measurements of how far from the side of the hood, does the black start? Also needing to know how large/wide the outer stripe spacing is from the blackout.

OK, please bear with me on this and post questions if it is not clear.

1. The hood is wider at the back than it is at the front. These measurements are referenced from the front drivers side corner of the hood.
2. Begin by establishing a centerline on the hood, front to back. This will allow transfer of measurements from the front to the back since the blackout is not tapered like the hood.
3. From the front right corner of the hood to the outside edge of the outer stripe is 3 1/2". The stripe is 7/16" wide, and the gap to the main blackout is 1/4". I seriously doubt that the factory had much precision on where they dropped the mask prior to spraying the black so consider the overall width to be approximate.
4. Measure back from the centerline and transfer your measurements to the other side of the hood, then to both sides of the rear.

My, how things change so quickly. Turns out both hoods that I bought for this car are 70 model hoods. Neither have the cutouts in the inner bracing for hood scoops. So....no hood scoops it is. Just the hood black out with the black out that continues down the tops of the door and around the 1/4 windows.

I would like to see a set of these ladder stripes on a hood w/o scoops.
C

Here's a pic of my old car with the stripes painted on it...Actually, the yellow was painted first and then it was masked off and the black was sprayed...Was not 100% correct as I just painted to the edge of the hood instead of back towards the center a little with the pinstripes but it gives you an idea how it ooks w/o the scoops

painted 7.jpg

-
Back