Duster V10 Build - Snakeskin or Goldie with a Twissssst

-

MoparMan71

A work in Progression
Reaction score
Good morning fellow A-body Duster/Dart/Demon/Valiant lovers :)

Just wanted to share the beginnings of hopefully a beautifuy journey between me, my car, lots of shops and the loss of mucho's $$$$.

I have a 1974 Plymouth Gold Duster - check it out in my profile.
It's a nice driver, kind of powerless, but thats' been ok so far. I changed out the gross Thunderbird buckets the previous owner put in in, along with the homemade custom console with a Portable DVD player and radio that was operated by a toggle switch that when on, the brake lights didn't work and other flashy flashy things happened. lol

I'd been thinking about what I could do for it to help me stay inspired with it. I have the original bill of sale, it's a plain Gold Duster with only the Gold Duster pkg, plus double Mirrors, AM radio and Automatic Transmission.

Some kind of restoration happened on it in the past, but honestly, it's not that great. Bondo painted over and it's now starting to show, bumps under the paint, in some cases the bondo was simple applied then painted over with no sanding or smoothening out.

I've had lots of people stop and talk to me about it, and often will get thumbs up from other Classic car guys on the street or the odd show I take it to, but ultimately, it's still just a 6 cyl Gold Duster.

According to musclecarclub.com, production numbers for a 1974 Duster that did NOT have a 360 C.I engine in it were some 277k. That would indicate the suggestion that likely 1/2 of the 277k were /6's. The economy of the time was worried about Gas/Oil (much like today) and many people like the Bundies (IYKYK) choose a more modest approach to fuel mileage.

What I'm getting at is in 2023, this car, while cool to see, is NOT special.

I aim to change that.

My little circle picture is a sample of the overall plan. Barely anything on the car will remain original, including the Driveline, suspension, frame, much of the sheet metal, and that Vinyl roof.

But, the end result will be a super fun and driveable car that will turn more heads with it's looks and how it sounds. Not your average cool Mopar Muscle machine, but something with a bit of a "twisssst".

I expect the process to take upwards of 5 years, but I believe will be a SEMA show car when done.

Everything I plan for it will have a nod to the original car. Colour (CDN spelling for you U.S. Friends) will remain close to the original but more of a Satin then a Gloss.
Wheels and tires will be a nod to TransAm racing circuit
Grill will be a modified '72 with a surprise lurking behind it
Vinyl Snakeskin will be "shedded" in favour of some custom painted graphics to add flair.
Interior will have a "stock(ish)" look and feel about it, but will be more up to date with styling from today's more modern supplies and designs.
Engine - total ssssurpise
Transmission HAS to become a Manual - the Hotrodding Gods will it to be so.
Rear lights - will be modified versions of the 1970/71 versions.

Overall, this "idea" of a project has rejuvenated in me a desire to work harder for the outcome. The last 3 years of Covid, working from home, barely leaving the house and just simply existing has taken a huge toll on my mental health.
I deal in peoples finances for a regular job and I see lots of cases of hardship and tough decisions everyday. It's been draining, and sad to see so many go through the tough times were in.

This is my carrot, my "end result" my first contribution to the car world of what goes through this brain.

I can't wait to live my vision.

1974 Duster .png

20220413_160421-removebg-preview.png

IMG_7990.JPG

1974 Duster Engine.jpg

DUSTER SNAKE SKIN Cropped.png

Looks and sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to make it into. I'm getting the hint of a Viper powerplant, which will be different from most, but not unique. That way you can learn from what others have done before and avoid the mistakes. I like the concept, so start a build thread on this one and let us follow along with your progress.

Oops - you're right, I should've put this in the Members Restorations. Can I move this, or do I have to start over? Sorry - forum Newbie.

You're teaser rendering looks very interesting. Are you going to show us the rest of it?

The rendering is not 100% as I wish it to be, just awaiting a revision and another angle. Also, have a few people to chat with before announcing it fully.

Well, it may not be the "end" engine that will sit in the Duster - but I did get me a V10 so I can start the process of measuring and fabricating where a V10 will sit in the car. Next is that 6 spd tranny, then order a Frame. Slowly but surely.

20231104_151903.jpg

20231104_151913.jpg

Following! I assume that is an old truck 8.0L?

Nice! :thumbsup: Heres a very cool V10 thread
Operation: Venomous Fish (69 Bcuda V10)
Amazing! Thank you - this is cool. I may even attempt to put something together in the form of video's or at least some pictures to show the process as it goes along. At the moment, I'm still at the tip of the iceberg so to speak. (but not because I live in Canada.. lol)

-
Back