Duster vin # Help

-

Roby Duster

Looking for a 340 Duster
Reaction score
I hope someone can help!
I am interested in this duster and it a 7 hour drive one way and only have some pictures that are not very good.
Can someone decode this vin code for me? there is no fender tag.
Also the car has a 360 not sure of the year 74-75-76 and the motor is in the car but but the headers hir the steering box and dont reach the mounts. could this be just the wrong headers or the wrong mounts.
it is a 1970 duster.
I will post a picture of the motor in the next post.
some reason the picture wont load this is the Vin# VL29COB149896
thanks
I will try to resize the pictures

Attachments

• Duster Vin Tag.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 383
Vehicle Identification Number: VL29COB149896
Vehicle Model: Valiant/Duster
Vehicle Class: Low Price Class (Valiant, Duster, Belvedere)
Vehicle Body Style: 2 Door Sports Hardtop
Vehicle Engine: 225 CID/145 HP 1 BBL Slant 6
Vehicle Year: 1970
Vehicle Assembly Plant: Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA
Assembly Sequence Number: 149896

P.S. your pretty close to me. I'm over in Goshen near Middletown

Could be wrong headers and/or wrong mounts. Or it could just need to be bumped to the passenger side a bit. It's hard to know without seeing it. There's a good chance that someone tried using a 273/318 driver's side mount, and didn't quite get it in place correctly.

There are too many veriables and scenarios to really know without at least some good pictures.

The side pipes are gone :-( but the SS come with :)

Attachments

• 70Duster.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 366
  • 70duster2.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 358
  • 70 duster3.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 350
exhaust system is pretty hokey...looks like the mufflers dump straight out towards the rearend.Likely is going to need a complete system.

Does the motor come with any accessories like brackets,pulleys,kickdown linkage,etc? That stuff is a pain to track down and buying it piece by piece and having it shipped gets expensive.

Also,there's no spark plugs to be seen so the engine could have rust and dirt inside the cylinders.Does it turn over? you could try turning it over with the large bolt on the front of the crank damper,if it does'nt turn you have a stuck engine.Either way,you'll probably want to pull the heads and take a close look inside before you try to run it.
Funny the guy tapes over the thermostat housing but leaves the spark plugs out and it looks like whatever comes off that tarp would dump straight down into the #7 cylinder.

Body looks solid so the car is definitely worth saving but it should probably be priced as a roller with no drivetrain in the condition it's in.

Where can ya buy pipes like that now..love the craggars..if it is a 360..parts are easy / cheap to buy..

I once drove over 4 hours to supposidly drive car home..you couldn't even put it on a trailer...was I pi***d..8 hours of driving for nada.

Get the guy to take really good pics of whatever you want before you head out..if he will not.......hmmm

the pictures of the side of the car, look to be from the late 80's

That thing is straight from 1975! Cragars, side pipes, bug catcher, looks like a driver side floor pan was put in from the pic of the dash? Better make sure the torsion bar mount isnt all rusted out, door jamb strikers make sure they arent all boogered up! good luck looks like a lot of work!

Intake is an early 340 square bore one, so it's not an indication of an HP 360. The correct intake would have had EGR and a spread bore carb pad for a TQ. Doesn't mean it's not, but who knows.

From the first pic of the rear, looks like there is some rust starting in the quarter.

Thanks for the responses guys for some great input. i am on the fence right now. I asked the owner if he had a registration and no answer yet.
How hard is it to get winshield and door windows? When they say a roller price how would a $1000.00 be a good offer?
thanks,
Bare with me im new to this..the last Duster I bought was brand new in 1970 Wish I could find that one.

-
Back