Duster work in progress...

-

72 Duster 340

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks again. Looks like there a quit a few guys aboard here from Moparts, recognize a few...

Thought to show you guys some pictures of what we are working on at the moment. Take a look at the following pictures of our duster at it's progress.

dusterrotterdam.jpg

Here is how the Duster looked like after we went and get it from the customs at the harbour. Didn't disappointed us at all. Exactly as we thought it would look like after all the pictures Mike provided.

dustergraf.jpg

Looks like it was saved from...

dusterthuis.jpg

Finally arrived at our place after the long trip from AZ Time to check it out a little bit closer and see if we can follow our plans with it. Yep, no problems. Start to rip out every part of it to either throw away or restore.

dusterinterieur.jpg

You see it hasn't been used for a while... I believe the license plate sticker was from the early 80ies.

dustermotor.jpg

Engine shot... It's really shot... Only 7 pistons in it, all rusted. Lifters all rusted too, everything. Only thing looking good were the heads but unfortunately it weren't the desired x-heads. Tighted down with about 4 bolts each. lol Good thing I still have my old 340 from the challenger to install.

tubsgezaagd.jpg

One of our plans was to perform a minitub to it. After seeing how the bodyshop had it done to my challenger I thought I could give it a go myself. With some help of friends I think it turned out really nice. Also done is installing frame connectors to stiffen up the car.

temppaint.jpg

After stripping down all paint of the duster to bare metal we have apply a thin coat of paint to prevent it from rusting. Hard job but saves many hours of work for the bodyman. The whole duster was stripped from it's original paint.

Then from the front to the rear the duster looks like the following...

enginebay.jpg

interiorfront.jpg

interiorback.jpg

tubbed.jpg

Currently the car is at the bodyshop to get a 'new' tail panel welded in, be competely straigthened and painted moulin rouge, or in other words, pink... We hope to have it back at the end of this year so we can start on reassembling it. So as you see, lot of work still have to be done but it's worth it.

Hope you have an idea of what we are doing here overseas.

And, I can't resist, a picture of our Hemi Challenger.

CRW_1700_big.jpg

I love the progress youv'e made on your car. To bad it's winter here as I'm dieing to get started on the Dart we got this fall. All I'm doing now is collecting parts so I'll be ready for a spring start. What engine are you going to use? By the look of the wheel tubs I'm guessing not a small block.

Winter is just about teh right time to perform mods to the car, summer is for driving. Of course you do need a garage then. For now I will put in the 340 I used to run in my challenger. SHould get the duster into the 12's. So nothing special for now. But it's better to do the tubs now before painting then let's say next year, after it's painted.

Maybe sometime we put in the Hemi out of my challenger. Would make it a supergas (9.90) car I guess. Runs 10.7's in the challenger now. Never know.

We use the garage for the Ram and the wifes car for the winter. The summer is when I usually work on the cars. I have a small garage in the back yard that the Challenger is in and I keep the Road Runner in the trailer for the winter. In the spring I'll kick the two out of the main garage and time to start the Dart. This is where the Challenger stays.

FD801032 600.jpg

This is where they are today. I agree with the fore thought about the paint. I have been thinking about mini tubs for my Dart. I have been thinking sbout moving the springs also. I want to use 15X7 rear wheels with 275-60-15 tires on the rear. Thats the size I have on the Road Runner and T/A. I just use the Polyglass for shows and run BFG radials on another set of rallies to cruise around with.

68R_0250 600.jpg

nice progress there 72 Duster 340 but 1 question...where are you at? you mentioned overseas but i can't tell where. you don't have any location in your name.

Finally, i got a Duster...
Just kidding, it is my wife's Duster and she gonna built 400 and small blower...
Here it starts

Img_0087.jpg

Damn i feel great, just have a Duster in a family!

Hey Hans!! Lookin GREAT!! Keep the progress pics coming!!

BTW, 7Demon2 -- Hans is in the Netherlands.

I sold him the Duster back just before Summer. It took FOREVER to get it from AZ to the Netherlands and he's only had it there for a couple of months now. All the work you see has been done in a short couple of months!! I'm VERY glad to see the car getting what it deserved!!

A little background on the car -- '72 Duster 340, #'s matching motor is the smoked 340 in the pics. Practically rust free AZ car it's whole life...had one spot of cancer about the size of a $.50 piece on the DS quarter behind the wheel. EXCELLENT donor for what Hans is doing to it!!

-- Mike

hey thanks for the info Hotwheelsjr! you are right that is alot of progress for a few months into it.

72 Duster 340 said:
tubsgezaagd.jpg

One of our plans was to perform a minitub to it. After seeing how the bodyshop had it done to my challenger I thought I could give it a go myself. With some help of friends I think it turned out really nice. Also done is installing frame connectors to stiffen up the car.

interiorback.jpg

tubbed.jpg

That is not like ANY 'mini-tub' I have seen before. That looks AWESOME!! Very nice job. Are those some pre-formed steel tubs you bought somewhere? And I like the solid filler panel too. :thumbrig:

HOWDY....I have a 72 340 duster too.... back in 72 I bought my first brand new car a 72 340 duster. when I sold it I almost cried but gas was going crazy back then & I was very poor so off it went. last year I found one on ebay....this one is a 4spd ( 1st one was auto)......the body is pretty straight was used as a race car so it was kept mostly dry two quarter sized rust holes in each rocker right by the doors is the only rust I have seen. I had the springs moved inside the rear frame rails with the intent of doing exactly what you did ( I wanna put MONSTER MEATs on the rears). body guys in Detroit are mostly newbies and cant figure out how to do what you did...so they are shooting me prices that include my first born! screw that!! if you have some time it would be very cool if you told me (kinda step by step) how you did that ( I looks excellent by the way) starting with where did you find the tubs? once we have those we have a starting point and a path that I am sure includes a whole lotta measuring & cutting...
My e-mail is PJMD2@ yahoo.com.
if you have the time it would be great to hear from you
thanks
Paul

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words.

Mike, thanks for explaining the others the additional info. Yes, it all has been done in a short time. I pushed it into my garage mid september so it took 2.5 months so far. Only evenings and weekends.

The mini tubs...

As you can see in the pictures we have cut out about the whole stock tubs except 'the rail' on top of the stock tubs. When you look at a stock tub there's a 'T' (an upside down version) model rail on top of it all the way from the front lower part (integrated with the inner body where the body panel attaches to) to the rear where it meets the trunk floor again. Except for the last part of it in the trunk (see pics) I left that rail alone. The cut the stock tub at both sides of that T-rail so the stock tub is loosened from the T-rail. Everything else has been cut out. With the electic saw? I cutted the part along the chassis. This loosens the inner side of the stock tubs. With a cutting wheel I cutted the wheel lips (left a bout 1/2" for strenght and to prevent cutting yourself ) This loosens the outer sides of the stock tubs. Then cut the floors at the width of the tubs so the whole stock tub is loosened. (from one to another cut) Now you will find out there are some more braces on top of the tubs which you can't see. You have to play around a bit with the cutting wheel then...

The above result can be seen in one of the pics.

Then start measuring approx. sizes of what size you need to fab up the upper part of the tubs. (around 60x20 inch) and get that in house. Get some cardboard box in pieces and go line out the outer shap of the body where the new tubs reach the body so the new tub follows the body. If you have that done attach the cardboard as you would attache the new tub. Then start measuring from (every couple of inches of the cardboard) the distance from the inner side of the cardboard to the outer side of the chassis. Write it on the cardboard where you measured it. If you have done this you remove the cardboard and lay it flat on the 1mm (or what size you got) steel plate you got and redraw the outer body lines on the plate. You just have measured so you can draw the inner line on the plate also. After this you have the upper part of the tub drawn so cut it out. Now it takes some strenght and tricks to get it in against the T-rail mentioned earlier. You will see you have to make quit a bend where you reach the package tray, I used a long screw there to pull the tub plate inside the corner. Go on placing the plate against the T-rail. When you have it in place in a way you want it (could take some attempts to place it nicely) give it some wleds so it stays there. Check all your alignments to your satisfaction. If it's ok go on with the following.

When you have cutted out the stock tub you will notice the floor is loosened from the chassis because we have cut out the outer lib of the chassis rail. Where the floor meets the chassis, weld it fully close. After that grind the weld flat with the chassis. Then start measuring / drawing (with cardboard again) the steel plate needed for the insides. When you have cut it out making it fit perfect put it in place, hold it there and give it some welds. Check again if everything is to your satisfaction.

If so you can start welding the whole thing (T-rail to tub, inner side of tub to chassis, inner side of tub to upper part, etc.) I have welding points about every half inch. You notice to make it all fit nice and to cover some bad looking poieces you have to cut and weld some small strips and plates at a couple of places depending on you cut the tubs out and your body model. If you have done this you could (if you need/want) fab the plate between the tubs. In my case it's needed by safetly rules for racing as I will have a fuel cell and batt in the trunk. After ALL welding is done in that area you put sealent over all welding lines. Make sure you get one sealent which can be painted!! ALso seals the line where the upper outer part of the tub reaches the body. Check from beneeth to see if you have it all 'waterproof'

Then it's ready to paint.

If I ain't miss something this is how I have done it. It's quit simple, just take your time and measure / draw / cardboard things first. Once cutted you can't go back...

Allright, an update finally...

Just made a visit to the paintshop who has just finished painting the Duster. Will bolt in the rearend & frontend this week so I can take it back home to start finishing up the rest of it. In real life it looks even better, not a single flaw in the paintjob :notworth:

100103.jpg

100102.jpg

100104.jpg

-
Back