Dusters with 4 speeds?

-

hotrodder

Reaction score
I know there are Dusters out there lurking about with 4 speeds, but I was wondering who here has one? Preferably a '70 model, though I don't think it will truely matter.... Here's why I ask, the Duster that I have, and those that have seen the pic's and remember them know, or could probably guess what I'm up to now.... Someone started converting this car to a manual tranny, I want to finish it.... But, I was wondering if anyone here had one with pic's that I could probably use as a reference, and start getting ideas on what all I will need to get to do this. I thought about going to Paddock Parts, and getting there conversion hump for the A bodies, cut out the old one, and weld this one in.... Any ideas, pic's, suggestions would be helpful, thanks in advance.:snakeman:

Any 67-74 Dart, Duster, Demon, Valiant, Scamp with a manual floor shift is the same as far as floor hump up to about 75, Cat hump on 75+.

The repro manual humps IIRC, have the cat hump/cut out. Why I have no clue. They didn't use an earlier one for the sample/set up dies. You'll have to make a small patch at the rear of the hump to make up for the cat hump in later cars. If there is a new hump out there, I'd love to see one.

I have a '71, there is no difference between them. Pictures of what exactly do you need, as I will be undertaking dropping it soon (I'm wishing). I need to replace the clutch.... This unit has never left the car since new. I will be taking pics for my references (bad memory), as I progress.
I will not be removing anything that doesn't require replacing, or refurb., and for the interior, all I will be removing is the bezel and boot.

Let me no of any specifics, and I will see what I can do (as promptly as I can).

All the Best.
Giles

I bought my 'kit' from a swap meet. A guy in AZ travels around (at least to here in CA) and sells TONS of Mopar stuff at car shows. There we some missing/incorrect parts but it was a decent buy as I had most of what I needed including a hump. So, check your local Mopar shows for these kits.

How much are you thinking of spending for this conversion? If you have the coin, there are now two companies that sell 5-spd conversion kits with all new parts.

Otherwise, you are in the same boat as me a few years ago. In that case, I have pictures and information if you want to get more specific.

Here's the conversion hump that I have in mind, as for if it's the "correct" hump or not, I couldn't tell you. This will be the first manual tranny muscle car, all others have been and are, automatics.... I'm wanting to go back with the 4 speed so it would be a little more "correct" looking. The only numbers on this car is the VIN, all others are gone. I'm planning on trying to get it kind of close to factory, but more of a driver than show car..... Though it will be nice. I will be going with aftermarket front seats, though I would like to find factory rear seats, I don't care if they have to be recovered or not, for $$$ sakes, I'd rather them need to be recovered, and that will also cut down on the chances of the shipper messing the covering up somehow.... That is, the worry of them messing the fabric up.... The motor will be the 400, I've got it on the porch now, hopefully the block is good, I'm in the middle of stripping it down still... :angry7:. Right now it's down to the short block, and based on what I've read so far, because it's a truck motor that had a manual, it's got a factory steel crank, and the clutch and flywheel are still present, but I'm gonna ditch the 451 heads in favor of the 516's that I have (I'm gonna go to a 1.81 exh valve, and open the exh ports some), and run a flat top piston, blah blah blah:walk:. Though a 5 or even a 6 speed would be a lot more nicer, it wouldn't be a little more on the correct side. Since this will be an automatic to manual conversion, what ever has to be done to the car, is what I will be needing to know.... I've found a place that sells restored pedal assemblies (the clutch/brake setup that is). The accelerator would be seperate. I wanna say that the '71 - '74 B body non console Hurst Pistol Grip shifter will work just nice, if so, I'd like to go with this... I am not planning on running a floor console, though it would be kind of nice to have something there.... Rear axle, still don't know, would like to get an A body 8 3/4 back in it, but trying to find a decent priced one is pretty much impossible, and the Dana, well... You get the picture... :rolleyes:. So what next....:read2:.

Rather than starting a new thread...I have a related question regarding 4-speeds and 1970 Dusters. I have an all numbers matching Duster 340 EXCEPT that automatic was replaced with a 4-speeds probably 20 years ago. The problem I have encountered is the alignment of the "Z" bar between the frame and the clutch bellhousing. It seems in my car the "Z" bar is not parallel with the ground. Looking from the front to the firewall, the "Z" bar is a little lower at the bellhousing than at the frame. I've been told by a couple of our Mopar club guys that the bellhousing bracket (the bracket that holds the ball shaft) may be incorrect. Any one know if there is a special "A" body Z bar bracket for manual transmissions?

Thanx.

I'm guessing no one has any pic's or anything that can show me what all I need to get and get into to do this conversion? Also any opinions on the conversion hump that the Paddock offers? I know there are at least two different kinds out there, but I was wondering if this is the right one or not, and if not, what would it take to get it close to the correct style? I'm slowly taking the 400 down now, locked up, I've sprayed a lot of WD40 in the cylinders, and have now moved onto PB Blaster.... If I could only get the thing to start truning, I could get it from there.....

No one likes reading a lot of block text. I assume you want pictures of four speed parts. Here is the ‘kit’ I bought used and the parts installed (a couple are backwards btw). I edited the pictures for someone else so ignore the text if it is of no use to you.

If you want a complete list of parts needed, make one. Then we’ll fill in the gaps.

2540223334_b0ebb59d2b_o.jpg

2540207160_8a8c5e4bd7_o.jpg

2539392165_2462c49a06_o.jpg

Dust,
thanks for the pic's so far, now that I have a little bit better of an idea of what all I'll need, I know how to proceed.....

Items that I know I'll need:
Shifter assembly
Clutch/Brake pedal assembly
Transmission (I know where I can get an A-833 with big block bell housing)
Clutch/flywheel assembly (which this 400 already has, but will replace the clutch, and see what I can get out ofresurfacing the flywheel)
The Z bar
New driveshaft (need one anyway, the one that was in the car is gone)
Throwout bearing
New Pilot bearing (rather be safe than sorry)
New tranny fluid (by the way, what does the A-833 take?) Each seems to take something different.....
The manual hump
New shifter boot is original is shot (or replacement is no good)
Patience
Money
Time
Help
Understanding wife
Possibly new bushings if current ones are bad
Linkage rods
What else????:read2:

Added a few things to your list.....

Items that I know I'll need:
Shifter assembly
Clutch/Brake pedal assembly ---Correct for body style
Transmission (I know where I can get an A-833 with big block bell housing, need the flywheel inspection pan and dust cover for that bell housing)
Clutch/Throwout bearing/pressure plate kit (which this 400 already has, but will replace the clutch, and see what I can get out of resurfacing the flywheel)
The engine correct Z bar probably the same but with /6 to small block (for example), they are different
New driveshaft (need one anyway, the one that was in the car is gone) New? With small blocks, you can cut the yoke short. I don't know about the big blocks...

New Pilot bearing (rather be safe than sorry) Yes!
New tranny fluid (by the way, what does the A-833 take?) Each seems to take something different.....80w90 is fine. IIRC
The manual hump
New shifter boot is original is shot (or replacement is no good)
Patience
Money
Time
Help
Understanding wife
Possibly new bushings if current ones are bad
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...DCC-4529447&N=700+4294800643+115&autoview=sku I got this but don't remember it being so MUCH. Check around for cheaper
Linkage rods http://store.summitracing.com/partd...DCC-4529450&N=700+4294800638+115&autoview=sku
+ plastic bushing kit
which you can get at any speed shop, I got Hurst bushings at a Kregan with a speed shop

What else????:read2:
fork kit (with boot)
http://www.jimsautoparts.com/P4529451.gif
Clutch rod boot http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/3100296598938080_0.jpg
Lots of multi-purpose grease for the Z-bar/linkage/shifter linkage/getting you mother-in-law through the doorway.

Dust,
This Duster originaly (based on vin #), and K frame is originaly a Duster 340. But it had an auto in it. When I got it, someone had stripped it all the way down, and I don't know why but wished I did..... If I can make it out there today, I'll be able to look things over again... The new driveshaft was said because I don't have one... The guy I got it from tossed in a steering column, not correct for this car, without keys to it.... Nice... I say not correct for this car because this one had a floor shifter with floor console (all of this is gone too)... Joy.... This car has quite literaly been stripped... And I'm starting off with my imagination, these can be quite fun.... Anyway, I'll start looking for things, and I need to get up with the guy i know localy and check that A-833 out for myself and see just what all comes with it, it maybe a complete tranny, just that it came out of a '68 Coronet with 440....

Update here, I talked with the guy I know who lives near by with the A-833, he still has it, and is fairly complete. He said the bellhousing is gone b/c it was cracked, so he got rid of it. He also stated that the tranny needs a rebuild, apparently the old pilot bearing ate the shaft up some, so it needs some attention.... When I get ready to get it, he said to let him know, and we'll get up together, and go check it out, he said he'd let me have all of it (including the B-body style hurst pistol grip shifter) for $75.... I guess that isn't so bad of a buy? The tail shaft I've been told will also have to be cahnged b/c it's a B body style, and I need the A body style, this came from Brewers Performance.... So.... What you all think?

Update here, I talked with the guy I know who lives near by with the A-833, he still has it, and is fairly complete. He said the bellhousing is gone b/c it was cracked, so he got rid of it. He also stated that the tranny needs a rebuild, apparently the old pilot bearing ate the shaft up some, so it needs some attention.... When I get ready to get it, he said to let him know, and we'll get up together, and go check it out, he said he'd let me have all of it (including the B-body style hurst pistol grip shifter) for $75.... I guess that isn't so bad of a buy? The tail shaft I've been told will also have to be cahnged b/c it's a B body style, and I need the A body style, this came from Brewers Performance.... So.... What you all think?
What year B-body? 71-7? work great in A-bodies and $75 bucks is a deal for a original pistol grip (assuming it's in good condition). I'd probably keep the trans for part if needed and get the correct trans that does not need a rebuild for use in your car. They are not expensive.

You mention a lot of stuff you plan on doing to the car, but what parts do you have right now to do the 4 gear conversion?

When I converted my Dart, I bought mostly used parts and replaced most of the wear items. Passon Performance or Brewers can suppy most of the rebuild items/wear items for the trans, pedals, n stuff. I bought a used hump and paid 1/2 the price. Remember, the floor hump will be covered by carpet so don't be picky.

Here are some good links on the parts n stuff you may need.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...stionAnswer&Number=2768235&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...stionAnswer&Number=3204179&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...stionAnswer&Number=3376674&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...stionAnswer&Number=3559835&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

The 4 speed I'm looking at came out of a '68 Coronet, I'm fairly certain that's right, and it came from behind a 440. The 400 that I have that this will be going behind, had a manual tranny behind it, but.... It was a 4wd truck that it was in, so a trans and transfer case, want work to well in a Duster, at least not for what I want..... But anyway.... The 400 has a factory steel crank in it, and still has the clutch and flywheel still bolted on, so I know there's got to be a pilot bearing in it, I just want to replace it with a roller style.....

As for 4 speed parts, when I get the tranny, that will be my starting point for tranny parts... I had a line on a 4 speed hump, but that transaction didn't work out, oh well, maybe another one will come along. I just hope it doesn't have rust all along the cut for when it got removed out of the car......

Must of the conversion stuff I want to use will either be brand new, or refurbished..... At least that's the plan. 8)

-
Back