Dynamic Convertors

-

BubbaCuda

Reaction score
I called Dynamic convertors today and they recommended to run in my 904 their 9.5 convertor with a 3500 stall. My question is do you guys feel that to much stall or not.

904 reverse manual valve body
408 stroker 10.3 compression
EDDY heads
solid hydraulic lifter cam 231 duration .51 lift at 108 center line using 1.6 roller rockers

Thanks Harold

how low are your gears. if cruising your motor doesnt rev 3500 its gonna constantly slip and build heat and burn trannys

Harold, what exactly did they ask you in order to determine this? Did they give you a price on it? Is this an off the shelf piece or a custom piece?

I bought a 9 1/2 3200 Dynamic converter and cruise all day long below 3200. Tell them what you have (motor, gearing etc.) and stick with the recommendation, I had the same concerns you did. Mine seams to work fine.

Daredevil -I have 373 gears
GtXexperience - They asked about cam, tire size,engine,gears and primary use . The price was around $700.00 for a custom made convertor not off the shelf.

Mrpatel
Thats what Shaun at Dynamic convertors said it would do. Its nice to hear this from someone that actually is running one. I was really concerned because Clay smith Cams was advising to go no more then a 2300 stall with my set up.
What setup are you running?

I have a 4-speed and can't talk to loud but I have had automatics up until I bought my cuda. I would go with whatever they recommend even if it was higher than 3500. This is not the first time that Dynamics has been questioned on their stall recommendation. The posts that I have seen the person went with their recommendation after all and was just absolutely happy with the converter.

i am not a transmission man and will admit im only repeating what i,ve been told

I spoke with Shaun aswell, I had orginally told him that I wanted to run a 383 with a MP509 cam, TTI headers, 906 heads and 3:91 gears, with plans to upgrade to a 451. A crappy Mopar cam failure left me with a new 511 and 3:23 gearing. I little more motor than expected, but I am not into racing and like to cruise. I put 150 miles on it today at 2700 to 3000 RPM with no issues. I even stopped at the trans shop to have the kick down and linkage adjusted, and the mechanic commented on the converter when I took him for a test ride. Do some research on the site if your curious, there is lots of history here and BBD, with similar questions.

What RPM does your powerband come on at?
With the torq of a 408, wouldn't a lower than 3500 stall be OK?

I have a 2500 stall but mypower kicks in around 3000 so I'm gonna send mine in to up the stall. But for a mostly street car I'm also afraid of too high a stall.

Any more experts to chime in here?

I love mine in my 904 its a 3500 also and the car doesnt cruise above or even around that RPM. Its been in the car trouble free for over 5 years and works great.

I myself don't like anything above 3000 on the street. Unless you have a great cooler, it can build excessive heat. Secondly, how often are you in town at 3k + rpms consistently? Hardly. I would go with 3000 and call it good.
Just my opinion. It may not jive with everyone elses.

Secondly, how often are you in town at 3k + rpms consistently?

That's why I'm a stick guy. With 5.38's out back, when am I not at 3k + ? Oh, ya, when I'm stopped at a light. :toothy10:

From what I've heard and read about Dynamic, they're able to run more stall and yet they'll take off from a light easy, have good street manners and not burn up the trans. They're not cheap converters and you get what you pay for. If I had an auto, a Dynamic converter would be my choice.

no it will be fine if thats what the recomend and you were honest about your combo and intended use. they sold me a 3800 9 1/2' converter for my dart. man did it work great. on the street it was very efficient and felt pretty much like a stock converter. when you mashed it though man did the car take off. and on the foot brake i could get 3000 rpm easy out of it.

new converter science is incredible. its not like the old days when a 3200 stahl did nothing but slip on ya. go for the 9 1/2, you'll love it. with converters you definatley get what you pay for.

I myself don't like anything above 3000 on the street. Unless you have a great cooler, it can build excessive heat. Secondly, how often are you in town at 3k + rpms consistently? Hardly. I would go with 3000 and call it good.
Just my opinion. It may not jive with everyone elses.

thats old school converters. they were a pain in the *** on the street. the new breed 9 1/2" converters are way more efficient and don't generate heat like the old school ones. yes you should still run a cooler, but in my opinion you should with any performance type of car.

thats old school converters. they were a pain in the *** on the street. the new breed 9 1/2" converters are way more efficient and don't generate heat like the old school ones. yes you should still run a cooler, but in my opinion you should with any performance type of car.

You hit right on the nail head Joe. These new type converters are hard to get used to. LOL!

Like I said before Dynamics WILL recommend a higher stall than what you think you need BUT the converter will work like a champ.

Thanks for all the useful opinions and information. I am going to purchase m convertor tomorrow from dynamic.. If it does not work well for me somebody on this site will end up with a good deal.

There are 2 basic designs of converters. Loose ones that slip like the ones of old days where you had to have real low gears to keep them locked up then there are tight ones that will stall to their rated rpm when loaded but under normal driving conditions act like a much lower stall unit. I have a 3000 stall PTC in my car and with 3.73 gears unless I'm running 65 it doesn't reach 3000 rpm and it doesn't slip at all under light to moderate throttle but when I stop and torque it up it's right there. They still make "loose" ones that slip quite a bit even under light throttle but they are mainly race designed.

Hkeller I think you'll be fine with what Dynamic has suggested and I bet it puts a grin from ear to ear when you nail it.

no it will be fine if thats what the recomend and you were honest about your combo and intended use. they sold me a 3800 9 1/2' converter for my dart. man did it work great. on the street it was very efficient and felt pretty much like a stock converter. when you mashed it though man did the car take off. and on the foot brake i could get 3000 rpm easy out of it.

new converter science is incredible. its not like the old days when a 3200 stahl did nothing but slip on ya. go for the 9 1/2, you'll love it. with converters you definatley get what you pay for.

I agree.
I got my son one of there 9 1/2" converters but they said it would act like a mild stall converter around town, until he wanted to play LOL.
They recommend a B&M super cooler and a deep trans pan.
I'll know for sure once he gets it running.

-
Back