dyno numbers from my 340 just for reference

-

chubsgts

Reaction score
this motor was in the car all ready and ran very good so i didnt see a point in tearing into to it so the internal parts are a pretty good guess been around alot of cars so u get the ideal of what your working with

stock bore 10.5 mild purple cam
x heads stock stock intake
elc ing
750 eddy
stock converter
hp manifolds
15 degrees 38 total

300 300 at the tires
real life numbers just incase any one wants to get a ideal

You might have a bit too much timing, 340 seem to like 34--36, did you tried backing the timing off a tad?

I believe the 300 hp in back, its torque the little 340 lacks a bit but a 3,000 stall and 3.91--4.10 gears solve that problem.

The 750 eddy is costing a bit of power--but sure its smoother and more reliable for a longer time then a 750 dp.

Would I change anything, no--unless you went dual carbs. Well may be a tight 10 inch converter, it knock the et down..what gears it got in back,, 3.55 or more should be fine..btw, where in MI are you, I'm out by Novi, got a dual carb 340 with hp exhaust, am very happy with it, never dyno, just enjoy

im in utica over by the silver dome kinda

cars all stock 323 gears i highway drive it and staying with them
converter is coming they wanted to dyno with stock converter said readings are more actual and as far as timing who knows thats what they set it at after 4 pulls said it was the best spot

carb is only a 750 sense it was a NEW free eddy i wasint going to fight that

Thanks for the post, but, in general, it's kind of useless.

this motor was in the car all ready and ran very good so i didnt see a point in tearing into to it so the internal parts are a pretty good guess been around alot of cars so u get the ideal of what your working with

stock bore 10.5 Stock pistons? If not, who's slugs are they?
mild purple cam What cam!?!
x heads stock Totally stock, as in the day of it's birth stock?
stock intake Which intake?
elc ing What kind? What series. AKA, dead stock, MP orange/chrome? How about the distributor itself?
750 eddy Jetted how w/what air cleaner up top? Any spacers or tricks?
stock converter Which one?
hp manifolds From a 340? What years?

No its not, I met another Mopar buddy by me:glasses7:

Silver dome is a ways, going out to the dream cruise this year, if so maybe we could compare rides.

Who cares what these cars came with when new, the designers are all dead anyhow, ha ha ha.

3.23 are a cool gear, I notice today 2,800--3,000 rpm was nice at 58--60 mph, so if I swap the 3.91's to 3.23 I could cruise 10 mph faster same rpm, would be sweet--until I stop, lol

I "need" that 35 mph in 2nd gear kick to pass these dipsticks in traffic, not often but it there when needed...nice to look back at 70 and see loads of space to move on over

300 hp at rear wheels with an auto :shock:

your very lucky to have that kinda performance with the hardware that you have...

That is really good for a stock 340 , REALLY good , in fact you have one of the strongest stock 340 I've seen. But then again your taking a guess on the internals unless you tore it down to inspect .
Mine makes 412HP 400 TQ , 355 HP , 343 TQ at the rear wheels , but it's not stock , 10.5:1 Mahle ceramic coated pistons .30 over , forget the cam specs , but it is lumpy , heads are cleaned up ported with headman tight tube headers with 2 1/2 " mandrel bend pipes and a 750 eddy carb and edelbrock air gap , automatic and 3:55 gears

sorry if i wasint detailed enuff for some one who may need specs that i cant answer
what i can answer you are more the welcome to pm and ill let you know

stock bore yes 10.5 pistons who knows not gonna pull the heads
mild purple about a 500 lift i would guess
x heads like the day they came from the build line
stock steel intake from 68 what ever came on the car from factory at birth spread bore
low rise no bells or whistles giant junk of steel with heat cross over for choke
mp elc dizzy and orange box looks old so i take it its been a few atleast 15 years old
sense my buddy had car for 15 years and never drove it or touched it so had to be before him and it dont look like a fancy dizzy
750 eddy no ideal on jetting they dyno guys did all that all they had or wanted to change was metering springs so what ever eddy thru in it from factory
stock gts 340 air cleaner think its 14" round napa filter
had no spacers or tricks when put on the rollers and tuned
witch stock converter witch one witch one came stock in a 727 lol cant fig they had 5 options i fig it was about a 1000rpm
68 manifolds that came on the car from factory
68 340
hope that helped you some

i did install a one inch spacer tonight a plastic one from mr gasket i fig plastic would help to keep heat away vs aluminum holding the heat to try and help the heat soak problem it did help some and it did do away with a good junk of my low end out of the hole stumbling witch i think the new stall will take care of rest from a dead dig with pedal to the floor

i did not intend on getting a wow factory from this i frankly could care less
I was tossing it out there for all the what kind of HP will it get threads
useless to you yes average guy on here on a budget maybe will help him

chubs

Nice numbers for a hi comp 340 with a small cam and aftermarket carb. Thats about 385 at the motor. Goes to show you the orig purple cams do work in some instances! I'd bet its the 284/484.

Sounds like you have the intake exhaust heat open, i swear my hp improve in cool weather.

How do you know the heads have never been touch in over 40 years if you never pulled the heads, I woundering....a lot can happen in 43 years.

not sure what you mean by intake exhaust heat open

i say heads are stock for a few reasons but with out a tear down i cant be sure
#1 stock valve steam seals
#2 had intake off ports look like my drive way lumpy and ruff so no porting done to them and valve steams look old like i would think they would not rusty just old
#3 when manifolds were off ports once again look like my drive way

this car only has 25k on it 3 owners the orginal then my buddy who stored the car for over 10 years and didnt do any thing to it and me so im just taking combined info and making a ruff guess

had a guy next to me yesterday 68 dart 340 he built his motor he knew his cam he said he was 460ish and my car was definitely more choppy and lumpy then his so i fig 500ish lift came

once again i dont want credit thats not why i posted this it was just for info for guys who are looking at doing a pretty much stock 340

one more thing is i know this number is not impressive i dont give two ***** about it to tell you the truth i built this car for the shows and to run to the parts store its a dog of a car in real life to me at least

chubs

I personally wouldn't be so sure of the internal parts if you can't pull the externals off to inspect the guts. It's a bit haughty to claim such things.

really guys lets quit busting my balls ill just take the whole thing down
god i was just giving a freaking example of what a 340 produces on a CHASSIS dyno

im not selling some thing like a MOTOR and saying its this or that its all stated i do not know for 100 percent whats in there from what i know and seen im making a best guess case this is ridiculous
this site is turning into moparts
im not saying the cars fast or its for sale and it has this or that
THIS WAS JUST A informative peace of info for any one who can not understand this please let me know so i can draw you a picture

Impressive numbers , but not really informative as you have no clue as to what parts are in there . And nobody is busting your balls , if that were the case your sentence structure and grammar would be mentioned .
And hen you go add this "" i built this car for the shows and to run to the parts store its a dog of a car in real life to me at least "" . Really it's a dog of a car , you built it ? What pistons cams ? Get your story straight .

i restored 99 PERCENT of this car minus the freaking motor thats what i meant i built it not bought a done car and drive it to my job where i sit in a nice leather chair all day and say yea thats my car i probley have a good solid year of work every day in this car
my story never went twisted you just misunderstood my sweet grammer

forget my grammer im no teacher never tryed to be

yea its a freaking dog its slow its 300 hp hold on for dear life the car is drop dead perfect but its a dog would be whipped by a new 6 cylinder mustang that makes 330 stock

that about wraps up this useless thread if the board wants to remove this waste of all of are times thread feel free by me

Attachments

• dart 056.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 434
chubsgts,

Great workmanship I would love to see more pics of your car. Is it RR1 yellow?

Maybe you should dissasemble Measure and photograph the entire contents of your engine to satisfy some of the guys on this board.

Thanks for sharing, Good post idea, Great car.

I am rather tired of threads like this one going the way it did.

B

Well it's a nice "Dog" you got there , and that 300 hp 6 cyl Mustang is about 240 HP at the rear wheels , so I doubt it would out run your "DOG "(if one does you need driving lessons ) . Get a thicker skin , nothing in this thread is that bad .
Anyhow nice car , ain't a dog . Stock they could run low 14 s , yours should do better than that mid to high 13 s maybe ?

And it's G R A M M A R ! :)

Its the low rpms and the too tight converter killing it. It cost too much to do but 3.55 and a 10 inch converter is what it needs.......really needs 3.91 or 4.10 but you drive it alot so, gas just cost too much, $20 gives me 90 mins running time if I don't go wild.

But i guess its 3.23...i don;t know, my 10 inch street fighter seems pretty tight at light throttle, i would not be afraid to use that. It is $500 but really comes in handy..in fact I regret now not paying $750 and get a good tight 9 inch.

The 340 got the power, just needs revs and lots of gear so it can rev up fast.3.91 gears and 27 1/4 inch tires seems about it, it had 25 1/4 tires and I feel the difference going up 2 inchs .

4.10 gears is what it really needs and that is for the street, drag racing its 4.56 or 4.88 gears. Its got a short stroke, with the right cam its 7,500 through the lights.

3.23's with a good 9.5" converter that is tightish yet flashes HARD would work just fine. Not be too sloppy and pretty easy on fuel. DJV has a good converter in his tunnel rammed cuda and it runs pretty good.

Good looking car for sure

chubsgts,

Great workmanship I would love to see more pics of your car. Is it RR1 yellow?

Maybe you should dissasemble Measure and photograph the entire contents of your engine to satisfy some of the guys on this board.

Thanks for sharing, Good post idea, Great car.

I am rather tired of threads like this one going the way it did.

color is SS1 sun fire yellow
kind of a pain to find a paint company who will mix it right so its not to yellow or have a greenish tint

thanks to every one for the complements on the car
once again i dont really care about how fast it is
theres all ways some one faster
the car is a driver needs converter ordering one from pst i think it was 2800 is what they call for i think that will help the whole package out

enuffs enuff on this whole thread i suck at grammar and i guess i should have not posted info with out the whole package known
sorry if i lead any one in a wrong direction on there build

as far as pics i have none except of the tear down and build i gotta get some maybe this weekend i just got done with the car less then a month ago and as we all know there all ways the second round of this and thats

Attachments

• dart 055.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 364
I love the car and the numbers it put down,A dyno is a tool just like that 3/8 ratchet you got in the tool box it gives you something to work with and work with that number if you are chasing a number the start with,I see alot of sad faces leave the shop if they don't get what they think it should have LOL!

Car looks great , and making great power for a basic stock motor . About converter , i run close to stock , car is street driven 98% of the time so the extra few 10ths is unimportant , more important is running cool and reliable in 90+ degree traffic . 3:55 or 3"73 gears would hep and not kill highway cruises . At 70 mph I'm turning about 3200-3300 rpm .
Enjoy the car , post more pics if you got them .

-
Back