Dynomax super turbo muffler size

-

69swinger340391

Reaction score
I am looking to pick up some Dynomax super turbo mufflers for the car.

I will use the 2 1/2 inch pipe, but my question is what size muffler are you guys using? The 17748 is a 20" long case. Will that fit?

The next shortest is a 14" long case. 17733 I think is the number. I'd like to get the biggest muffler i can fit. I think the originals were 18" long.

These are case or body size only, not total length.

Thanks for any feedback.

How about the Summit Racing kit? It comes with Summit brand mufflers. Has anyone used the Summit kit? How does it compare to Dynomax?

I figure that even if I go with the Dynomax muffflers, I would have to buy the Summit kit to get the tail pipes.

I have not found any A body 2 1/2 mandrel bent tail pipes beside the Summit kit.

The research that I've done came up with these: Pypes makes a cross member back system. Accurate exhaust makes a complete system. Summit or Jegs makes kits. None of them are cheap but I need the whole thing and dont want to mix and match.

I need mufflers and tail pipes. My down pipes are in good shape. I have not found any sources for down pipes for the HP manifolds.

I remember 15 years ago you could go to a muffler shop and get it done for $225, including a cross over and mufflers. Times have changed.

TTI sells the down pipes and accurate will make them. Accurate has the stock 2.25 with the dent. TTI makes a 2.5 without the dent. I haven't priced having it bent from a muffler shop. I think you can buy the pieces from tti but they expensive.

just dont forgot that mixing diferent systems could mean some extra work since your existing Exhaustpipes may or may not locate the mufflers at the same angle/position as the new tailpipes are meant for,and im pretty sure no tailpipes that are possible to buy readybent are realy designed for mufflers with a 20"casesize just food for some thought IMHO

Ask some of the locals where there is a good Exhaust shop?

I took my car to the Albany Midas, brought my Dynomax Super Turbos with me, and the Chrome tips I had saved from a 69 Dart 340;
they fabricated a nice exhaust system from manifolds,
to tailpipe tip extensions. I went with 2.25" for the 273 and it works fine with the 318 I built later in the year.

How about the Summit Racing kit? It comes with Summit brand mufflers. Has anyone used the Summit kit? How does it compare to Dynomax?

I figure that even if I go with the Dynomax muffflers, I would have to buy the Summit kit to get the tail pipes.

I have not found any A body 2 1/2 mandrel bent tail pipes beside the Summit kit.

DSCN2133Medium.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8mci4rjFU

I can swing by and you can hear my exhaust on the Duster.
remember it is a stock '79 318 with bolt on's and a small Crane cam.
Or, this could be good enuff for you;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOYMlTTecTU

The cars engine was a little cold as you can tell be it loading up a bit.

Sounds good. I think I'll order the Summit/Jegs kit. I can always swap the mufflers out later.

-
Back