E.I. 225 Slant 6

-

Serj22

Reaction score
I bought the Pertronix 1361a from Amazon. I searched all over and couldn't find a definitive answer on which one it was and am hoping that is it, because there was also a 1461a. Not sure on the difference except for the price. The 1461 was $10 more. Also, if I replace the coil, I noticed there were several options from them on resistance, I.E. - 3ohm, 1.5 ohm etc...

I don't really like choices, so someone just tell me which one I need. lol. Otherwise I'm just going to stick with stock coil. I know this question has probably been answered somewhere, but my search through the forums yeilded nothing on the subject. MAybe it's just too simple... but looking for answers, then lock the thread, kill it, throw it away, whatever.:glasses7:

Edit: I should clarify, I am just verifying the 1361a is indeed correct, it seems like a lot of info found in search here yields that result and lots of links to it on summit racing. I got it for $67.00 off Amazon with free two day shipping... so had to jump at that. I just had to many options on numbers for Pertronix. And Really am just trying to figure out what coil I need, - or what resistance.

I didn't search the PN's (did you?). For that price, probably the oldest Ignitor, which requires you keep the ballast (unless you get a coil w/ built-in resistance). You can find manuals online.

I would only fool with the later models that lose the ballast and can run a better e-core coil - Ignitor II (~$110) or recent Ignitor III (~$140, adds MSD and rev limiter). I put a cheaper (maybe better) "roll my own" HEI on my 64 slant.

I didn't search the PN's (did you?). For that price, probably the oldest Ignitor, which requires you keep the ballast (unless you get a coil w/ built-in resistance). You can find manuals online.

I would only fool with the later models that lose the ballast and can run a better e-core coil - Ignitor II (~$110) or recent Ignitor III (~$140, adds MSD and rev limiter). I put a cheaper (maybe better) "roll my own" HEI on my 64 slant.

I got the One in that i ordered. It installed quick, used the old ballast, and fired right up. Now the engine shakes less at idle as well. Not sure why. But I'm not complaining. The part number was 1361a and all it said was Chrysler 6 cylinder. It seems to work just fine so I'm assuming it was correct. It seems it is the original ignitor, no numbers afterwards.

I happened to run across some on ebay yesterday and remembered the 1361a number. That is the original Ignitor. I also saw an Ignitor II. They prefix two letters to the number, as I recall. It was only ~$80, whereas they used to go for ~$110. Maybe since the Ignitor III came out, they are being surplused now. The smoother idle is probably because you were missing before with the points ignition. If so, you should get your money back soon in better mileage. I would go electronic just to keep my hands out of the grub zone where they put the distributor.

For others, if you get a slant electronic distributor cheap, it is almost as easy to use a GM HEI module and associated "external coil", and can be cheaper.

It's a real shame Mopar Performance didn't keep making their El Ig Conversion distributor !!! Made things so easy !!I'll be interested to see how my Mallory works out for me !!!:D

I may go to HEI later, but for now, the price was right, and I don't have time to junkyard dive just yet for dizzys. I am still irked. The car is not really that cold blooded in the morning, but for some reason, will only stay started on the 2nd crank. You start it once, and it chugs like a train - like only 3 cylinders are firing or something, then dies at a varying amount of time. Then you re-start it and it fires immediately and runs perfectly. Only in the morning. The rest of the day it starts before you can even stop turning the key. I thought it was an ignition issue. Guess not.

Cold start problems are almost always choke related. Read the ongoing post by pinkfuzzy... She is dealing with her "choke pull-off" not working, which causes these problems. Much info there, and search with that term for more posts.

-
Back