E55 engines in Australia

-

chaja360

Beep Beep!!
Reaction score
Hi,

Around 1971 1972 Australia imported 336 of the 340 small block for the Australian Chargers built here in Oz. The reason for this is debatable, some say it was with production racing in mind. Australia had what we refer to as the Super car scare in 1972. This basically put an end to the race to build faster cars to race in Australia, the government of the day saw to that. If they had been imported for that reason, they never raced in that production class

I just wondered as there is some very knowledgeable people on this site. Has anyone any information regarding the engines that were exported to Australia at this time.

I have one of these engines which has found it’s way into a sedan I have. I can see it has a date stamp of 71, I can’t at the moment see the rest of the date. Would that make the crank if original a forged crank, The engine is in corporate blue, is that correct for this year.

cheers Chaja360

Corporate blue would be correct for that year, as far as a forged crank, somebody else might know more.

Should be a forged crank, as said above the balancer on the front of the crank will be thin. If it is a cast crank it will have a counter weight and have the words "for 340 cast crank only" on it...

340 cast crank balancer.jpg

Blue is ok for late in 1971 built engines, orange was the engine color for 340 engines in 1971 in the first months.

Forged crank was standard.

Below the difference:

8813d1399161116-360-engine-balance-img_20140503_164416_585.jpg

Even in 1972 High compression 340 engines were still delivered to foreign countries outside the U.S. - to export.

Should be a forged crank, as said above the balancer on the front of the crank will be thin. If it is a cast crank it will have a counter weight and have the words "for 340 cast crank only" on it...

View attachment 1715513110
Thanks for the replies, It looks like it's a forged crank as it has the balancer without the counterweight. This car has been off the road for a while, but i remember it had a vibration through the car. So i was thinking maybe it could have been a later model 340 and someone has put the wrong balancer on it sometime. I suppose i won't know until i pull the engine.

Hi,

Around 1971 1972 Australia imported 336 of the 340 small block for the Australian Chargers built here in Oz. The reason for this is debatable, some say it was with production racing in mind. Australia had what we refer to as the Super car scare in 1972. This basically put an end to the race to build faster cars to race in Australia, the government of the day saw to that. If they had been imported for that reason, they never raced in that production class

I just wondered as there is some very knowledgeable people on this site. Has anyone any information regarding the engines that were exported to Australia at this time.

I have one of these engines which has found it’s way into a sedan I have. I can see it has a date stamp of 71, I can’t at the moment see the rest of the date. Would that make the crank if original a forged crank, The engine is in corporate blue, is that correct for this year.

cheers Chaja360

Post up some photos.................

Colors match up, looks like it's always been there. As for the vibration have you checked the motor and trans mounts. That hose in photo 1 looks all the way through the outer layers

Colors match up, looks like it's always been there. As for the vibration have you checked the motor and trans mounts. That hose in photo 1 looks all the way through the outer layers
Thank you, the car has been off the road for a number of years. Yes i did notice the hose (power steering) It will bereplaced:thumbsup: yes it does look original the balancer, so maybe forged crank. I did change the engine mount when it was still on the road, not saying it couldn't be that though. Will have to check the tranny mount.

-
Back