e85...anyone running it?

-

71gtdart

Reaction score
if so, I was wondering how consistent your et's are compared to gas when it comes to bracket racing. also, how much harder did your car "hit the tires" when you switched over from gas. I have seen first hand how much of a different animal that methanol is on the tires when run in the same car that had gas in it the week before.

Alcohol has SOOOO much more torque than gas does. I would assume that E85 would also hit the tire a little harder since it is an alcohol as well. just wondering if it was a big difference the wway that methanol is, and how consistent?

thank you

Got 3 small blocks....sometimes running on E85...the 2 that were running on gas before the switch have picked up probably .03 to .04 in the 60 ft times...

Got 3 small blocks....sometimes running on E85...the 2 that were running on gas before the switch have picked up probably .03 to .04 in the 60 ft times...

holy crap!

its not much better than methanol as far as hitting the tire, then.

Tony, I know you have ladder bars on 2 of your cars and I don't know that I can remember what you have on the Demon.

I'm running SS springs with the fronts clamped up big time. I still have a lot of sorting out to do since the car only has 7 passes on it. however, I'm not sure if that suspension is gonna handle that much of a pick up with the hit that it would put on a 29.5x9 slick.

I trust your judgment, so I'll ask your opinion on what you think.

I mainly want it for the consistency that people talk about, and the cheaper price of racing that it brings as well. I really don't care if it speeds the car up or not even though it will.

guess it would be nice if I could check around and borrow an e85 carb from someone at our track and try it. I already have the fuel system to run methanol, so a carb is all that is left.

all 3 cars have ladder bars..

we dont have big tires on the cars...10 x 29 on dart...10.5 x 29.5 on demon and 9 x 29.5 on duster...all 3 are hitting the tires with transbrake.

we only got to run E-85 the last race of 2013

glad we did cause it gave use all winter to fix the traction issues
was 26x6
Now, 275 et pros, on a 10" wheel

006-2-1.jpg

all 3 cars have ladder bars..

we dont have big tires on the cars...10 x 29 on dart...10.5 x 29.5 on demon and 9 x 29.5 on duster...all 3 are hitting the tires with transbrake.

yeah, I'm on a transbrake as well. 1.47 sixty ft times on gas only leaving at 3,000 rpm.

not sure what yours were on gas, but having the ladder bars is a big plus from what I have.

I guess I need to make a run through the "circle of friends" and see if I can try someones carb at a test and tune.

thanks for the replies, tony.

we only got to run E-85 the last race of 2013

glad we did cause it gave use all winter to fix the traction issues
was 26x6
Now, 275 et pros, on a 10" wheel

006-2-1.jpg

have you guys run it since you went to the bigger tire/wheel combo? also, what type suspension and sixty ft times were you running while on gas?

thanks for the info.

have you guys run it since you went to the bigger tire/wheel combo? also, what type suspension and sixty ft times were you running while on gas?

thanks for the info.

All new combo 449 small block
Air wolf heads
4500 converter
4.56 gears
never got a full pass, >spinning
forget using the trans brake lol

007.jpg

this year (track not open yet)
moved springs in
narrowed rear
moved rear axle forward 2"
a 25" front spring segment
rear /sliders

I'm in the process of converting my car to e85 now. I should be finished re-plumbing my fuel system with 1/2" line tonight (I had 3/8"). First TNT is in a few weeks, I'll post my results if you like. I'm guessing it might take a few TNT sessions to get the bugs worked out. Our cars run almost the same on gas so hopfully I'll have some helpful info for ya soon :smile:. Everyone I have talked to has picked up a little or at least run the same, and most have said that their consistency has improved...I guess I'll see for myself shortly.

I'm in the process of converting my car to e85 now. I should be finished re-plumbing my fuel system with 1/2" line tonight (I had 3/8"). First TNT is in a few weeks, I'll post my results if you like. I'm guessing it might take a few TNT sessions to get the bugs worked out. Our cars run almost the same on gas so hopfully I'll have some helpful info for ya soon :smile:. Everyone I have talked to has picked up a little or at least run the same, and most have said that their consistency has improved...I guess I'll see for myself shortly.

that would be great. What size tire and gear are you running? I think you have Cal tracs, right?

28" tire, 4.10 gear, and yes its on Caltracs (-1 mono's and their shocks on all 4 corners).

who built your carb for running E85

I switched last year
I had Eric at horsepower innovation set mine up only because he has his own design of metering blocks and he installed some larger ventures and flow tested it...

I've been looking at having Mark Sullens do one for me. Even tho Davinci is rght here about 30min drive from me

I've been looking at having Mark Sullens do one for me. Even tho Davinci is rght here about 30min drive from me

got a friend who has a gas Davinci carb. he set a few national records in stock eliminator while it was on the car. still bracket races with it. they know their stuff.

we have 2 Mark Sullens carbs
a 950 and a 1050 dominator

E-85 carbs is all he does
called him, while we were at the track last year
he will talk forever about e-85 to help you

found out the -6 lines
between the reg and carb
were to small for our engine

who built your carb for running E85

I'm doing it myself with a kit...I might be screwing this thing up bad, but I didn't have the coin for an already built carb...and I'm pretty good at tuning and making things work, so hopefully I can make this thing run. If I can't, I'll be on here asking for help :D.

Just a quick update (I'll post more specifics tomorrow)....I took the car to its first TNT on e85 tonight......right off the trailer she ran 10.79 @ 122.7 (same as one of my best runs last year). Second pass 10.63 @ 124.5 (new PB)....3rd pass 10.60 @ 125.1 (new PB)....upped the jetting, 4th pass 10.54 @ 125.6!!! (new PB) My 1/8 mile time was 6.67 @ 102.1!!! (new PB...again, lol)......and I haven't even gotten close to getting this thing dialed in yet :-D. e85 is FREAKING AWESOME!!!:supz:

Just a quick update (I'll post more specifics tomorrow)....I took the car to its first TNT on e85 tonight......right off the trailer she ran 10.79 @ 122.7 (same as one of my best runs last year). Second pass 10.63 @ 124.5 (new PB)....3rd pass 10.60 @ 125.1 (new PB)....upped the jetting, 4th pass 10.54 @ 125.6!!! (new PB) My 1/8 mile time was 6.67 @ 102.1!!! (new PB...again, lol)......and I haven't even gotten close to getting this thing dialed in yet :-D. e85 is FREAKING AWESOME!!!:supz:

what was your 60 ft time, fishy?

60' times were not the best, but good (possibly due to my 3 year old tires...lol). Worst was 1.480, best was 1.463....but my PB on gas was 1.45. I didn't get a chance to tune my 60' last night (no change to pump cams, squirters, etc), all I did due was up my jets 2 sizes before I ran out of time. I think it still wants more jet, I picked up 1 mph in the 1/8 after the jet change. After I get the jetting all figured out I'll start messing with the 60' stuff, then move on to timing. :-D.

60' times were not the best, but good (possibly due to my 3 year old tires...lol). Worst was 1.480, best was 1.463....but my PB on gas was 1.45. I didn't get a chance to tune my 60' last night (no change to pump cams, squirters, etc), all I did due was up my jets 2 sizes before I ran out of time. I think it still wants more jet, I picked up 1 mph in the 1/8 after the jet change. After I get the jetting all figured out I'll start messing with the 60' stuff, then move on to timing. :-D.

Wow great improvement you got there.who's kit did you use? Did the kit come with new boosters? I want to convert my car over to E85, but only running around 11.1 compression don't know if it would be worth it for ? Well keep at it and best of luck to you. Mopar65

Wow great improvement you got there.who's kit did you use? Did the kit come with new boosters? I want to convert my car over to E85, but only running around 11.1 compression don't know if it would be worth it for ? Well keep at it and best of luck to you. Mopar65

My car is only 10.8:1 compression....its worth it. I used the kit from Rob Mix Services. It has everything you need, but no boosters. I have a Proform main body, and according to the Rob Mix web site (http://www.e85carbs.com/), I don't "need" to upgrade the boosters at my power level....but I know a lot of other e85 builders will say that you should....idk....it seems to work fine for me :-D. I have friends that have used the Quick fuel kit too, I just thought I would try this one....LOVE IT!!!!:burnout:

My car is only 10.8:1 compression....its worth it. I used the kit from Rob Mix Services. It has everything you need, but no boosters. I have a Proform main body, and according to the Rob Mix web site (http://www.e85carbs.com/), I don't "need" to upgrade the boosters at my power level....but I know a lot of other e85 builders will say that you should....idk....it seems to work fine for me :-D. I have friends that have used the Quick fuel kit too, I just thought I would try this one....LOVE IT!!!!:burnout:

cool thanks for the info. i am runing a tunnelram and have 2 of the profrom main bodys on my car.so for a non carb person like me how hard was it to install?? so far on my best passes on 93 pump gas i have ran 10.49 at 125 in the 1/4 and 6.70 at 102 in the 1/8 mile. i would like to really get my car down around 10 flat. oh what kind of fuel system are you useing? i have a 12 gallon fuel cell two dash 8 lines runing into my holley black pump and then dash 8 line up to my holley 4 port fuel reg and then 4 dash 6 lines to my carb. thanks mopar65

cool thanks for the info. i am runing a tunnelram and have 2 of the profrom main bodys on my car.so for a non carb person like me how hard was it to install?? so far on my best passes on 93 pump gas i have ran 10.49 at 125 in the 1/4 and 6.70 at 102 in the 1/8 mile. i would like to really get my car down around 10 flat. oh what kind of fuel system are you useing? i have a 12 gallon fuel cell two dash 8 lines runing into my holley black pump and then dash 8 line up to my holley 4 port fuel reg and then 4 dash 6 lines to my carb. thanks mopar65

It is VERY easy to install, but you WILL have to tune it. If you don't like having to tune carbs then you might want to get a built carb from a reputable builder. I was told ahead of time that this kit WILL need tuning, but I like doing stuff myself and that kind of thing.

My fuel system is a Holley black pump, 1/2" line from cell to carb....oh, and you will have to use a steel mesh fuel filter instead of a paper filter too.

-
Back