E85 question about filter and Percy's Adjust a Jet

-

AnotherA

Reaction score
Do the paper/cellulose element fuel filters break down with E85 fuel?
Right now I just have a 100 micron filter before the fuel pump.
I'm looking to put a 10 or 40 micron filter after it but every filter I'm finding has a paper element.

Here is how my fuel system is laid out. Let me know if you see an issue with running E85.

20 gal Aluminum sumped fuel cell ---> 100 micron metal filter ---> A1000 fuel pump ---> AEI-13204 fuel pressure regulator ---> -6AN to carb and a -10AN return to tank.

All lines are -6AN, -10AN braided or -10AN aluminum hard line.

Also have you or anyone else had experience with Percy's adjust a jet plates?
This should allow me to swap between 91 octane and E85 pretty easily.
I haven't seen or heard of anyone using these so it makes me a little hesitant since they are $85 a piece and I will need 1 for each bowl.

http://www.percyshp.com/adjustajet.html

allPieces.GIF

I haven't run E-85 myself but it's my understanding that a E-85 specific carb is necessary. The E-85 carbs not only have much larger main jets, but they also have stainless steel butterflies, SS needles, revised idle fuel delivery and revised fuel curve via a specific metering block that has some pretty sophisticated air bleed modifications. Cork gaskets won't last either. Here's a link to the Quickfuel E-85 carb:

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/home_2.htm

Thanks for the link. I haven't rebuilt my carb yet so that is good information to know.

I won't be using E85 now.

Aluminum Fuel Tanks

In the case of aluminum tanks, aluminum is a highly conductive metal that relies on an oxide layer for its corrosion protection properties. Low levels of ethanol, such as E10 (10%), are usually not a problem in aluminum tanks because the oxide layer provides a good measure of protection. The problem occurs when the ethanol content is increased.

There are two mechanisms that occur with ethanol. Both mechanisms are a result of the hydroscopic property of ethanol, meaning it absorbs water. The more ethanol in the fuel, the more water there will be in the fuel tank. Water not only causes the tank to corrode, it also causes the corrosion particles to clog fuel filters, fuel systems, and damage engine components. The corrosion rate can be accelerated under a number of conditions if other contaminating metals are present such as copper which may be picked up from brass fittings or as a low level contaminant in the aluminum alloy. Chloride, which is a chemical found in salt water, will also accelerate corrosion. In the long term, corrosion can perforate the aluminum to produce leaks that would cause fuel to spill into the bilge and end up in the environment. In the worse case it could cause a fire and/or explosion hazard. Boat fuel tanks are often located under the deck next to the engine where the operator might not be aware of a leak until it was too late. .

The second mechanism that can occurs with the increased use of ethanol based fuel in aluminum tanks is galvanic corrosion. Gasoline fuel is not conductive, but the presence of ethanol or ethanol and water will conduct electricity. The galvanic process that occurs to aluminum trim tabs, stern drives, shaft couplings, etc. will occur within the aluminum fuel tank. Boat builders are able to protect exterior aluminum boat equipment with sacrificial anodes known as zincs. Sacrificial anodes are not a feasible option for the interior of a fuel tank.

Not sure about your fuel lines. Why are you running a return line that is larger than the line to the carb? I've never heard of a motor that returns more fuel than it's fed.

Its -10AN from the tank to the carb, -6AN to the carb and then -10AN back to the tank. The pump i'm using will flow 900lbs/hr at 8psi. I wanted to make sure that the return line will handle the surge after I get my hoof off the pedal.

I could have went with a 8, but from what I have read your suppose to run a large return line if you can.

-
Back