Eagle crankshaft

-

Minella

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Have you ever seen something like that? Its a cast 4' eagle crankshat, that after a few miles installed in a 318, it brokes. The engine have nothing special, eddy heads, mopar 296 solid cam, high volume oil pump, manual tranny. The crankshaft was balance properly.
Send you opinions what happens.

Imagem034.jpg

Imagem036.jpg

Wow thats brutal!! I just put a 4" stroke cast crank in a 360 and I can only pray that this doesn't happen. What does the rest of the bearing journals look like?
Rob

Ouch! The last time I saw anything like that was from a buddy running an engine built for dragstrip duty at ~8800RPM for about 7 miles. I used that lightened block to locate mounts in my car since much of the cylinder walls wound up in what was left in the pan.

How much run time did it have? Side clearance on the rods was good? I'd hope it was checked for cracks when the balance work was done. This is a head-scratcher.

The bearings were ok, look like new. The engine had less than 500 miles. We believe that the problem is in the material.
My friend bought this crank Brand new at summit and didnt check about craqs, because it was brand new! I dont know about the rods cleareance, but ill check, its a good tip.

BR,

Gustavo Minella

I recently bought a 360 stroker kit from Hughes and they informed me of some recent quality issues that they had seen with the eagle cast cranks and that they had been breaking, and recommended using as scat crank. So you may be correct minella about it being a material problem.

Man that sucks. I have a complete stroker assy. I just had done using the Eagle crank. I didn't have it magnafluxed but I think before I put it together I will after seeing that picture.

That looks like cheap casting material?Was that Eagle crank made in China?Glad my stroker has Scat crank in it!

oh, ****. Thank you for the information, now i know to check everything 100% before putting in, even if it´s new out of the box.....planned to use the same crank.

Is there a casting irregularity at 3 o´clock position? can you make a detail photo? want to take a closer look.

greets Michael

Is there anybody out there who has had any luck with these cranks? Man Eagle use to have such a good name.

Ye, I Know eagle has a such good name. I just want so know what happens and if someone else had this problem before. My friend will send this crank to eagle and we will see what they say. Look like a material fatige. More pictures:

Imagem033.jpg

Imagem035.jpg

This is making me a little nervous. I have a Eagle cast crank in my stroker! I'll probably end up paranoid as hell everytime a new noise or any little vibration pops up thinking things are getting ready to let go!

What happened to the days when brand name parts were top quality. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, quality down, profits up = China!

Minella, What kind of damage happened to the rest of the motor? Did any valves hit the pistons that weren't moving?

I sure hope you've contacted eagle about this. If you have papersork on it, I would think they would stand behind it. If I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember someone else who had a similar problem and eagle sent them new parts.

I recently bought a 360 stroker kit from Hughes and they informed me of some recent quality issues that they had seen with the eagle cast cranks and that they had been breaking, and recommended using as scat crank. So you may be correct minella about it being a material problem.

Not to thread Jack but I'm looking into the 408 stroker kit from Hughes. How's yours look? appear to be good quality kit? Who makes the crank? Thank you very much. And again, not trying to thread jack but, I really want a stroker

Scat and eagles come from China.. China's had issues with metalurgy before... Eagle SIR rods came apart from poor metalurgy too. But, that is a strange break... just the snout end? Very odd. My thoughts would be what options are on the car? Is there a blower involved? what do the cap mating surfaces and backsides of the rod bearings look like? I would call it more than likely a defect in the crank. But detonation or huge accessory loads (like a blower) could also do it. How well was it balanced? Was there any weight added in the front counterweight? I have two of those cranks in service going on two years now... No issues liek that with abuse.

Poor casting procedure. Small air pocket internal to the naked eye. As moper said, "China's had issues with metallurgy before..." Remember the Chinese were still living in the 19th century 20 years ago. Is it any wonder their products "suck?"

Another thing that I don't see is any heat treating, the grain is that same all the way to the edge of the journal.

Is there anybody out there who has had any luck with these cranks? Man Eagle use to have such a good name.

I know a fellow that's running one in a 340 making over 550 hp and no problems so far. He's had it in service for a couple yrs. now and has ran 10.80's with it in a 2800 lb car. My machinist has built several 408's and 416's with them an not one has failed. Apparently they aren't all bad.

Ye, I Know eagle has a such good name. I just want so know what happens and if someone else had this problem before. My friend will send this crank to eagle and we will see what they say. Look like a material fatige. More pictures:

My wife works at a foundry(25+ yrs in management) She thinks that looks like a gas hole in the casting,which should have been seen during x-ray? Going by pics though so take as an opinion.

Thanks for your tips guys.
Someone ask if the engine has blower, not.
My friend was concerned about a vibration in the car, we guess was a driveshaft with balance problem, than he decided take off the oil pan and found the crank cracked.
Only the rod bearings were damaged, all the other parts are fine.
About the balance, the front counterweight they have to take off some material to be balanced ok.

Br,

Minella

A cast crank with 4" stroke that had material removed? Are you certain? Was this internal, or did he give the shop the dampner with it? The car would not have run like that... was the crank truly broken, or just cracked and he broke it off? There should be some major damage there including the main alignment, and iron particles in the oil. Was it align bored in the original build?

eagle cranks have been **** for years i know of at least 5 or 6 breaking two in dirt track cars and the rest in street\strip cars with a crank you get what you pay for i would spend a little extra and get a forged callies you will never break it

My wife works at a foundry(25+ yrs in management) She thinks that looks like a gas hole in the casting,which should have been seen during x-ray? Going by pics though so take as an opinion.

apparently they dont x ray in china

-
Back