Early 273 HELP

-

Ozcuda

gotta love a MOPAR
Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

I have a early 273 I am about to rebuild & have been told that they have a different angle in the valley & I can't fit a aftermarket intake.

If they are different can a intake be machined to fit ???

Or can I fit later 273 heads & then fit a aftermarket intake.

Or are they pulling my chain ???

Thanks Oz

1964 and some 1965, 273's have verticle intake bolts and therefore cannot accept regular aftermarket intakes for LA engines. One alternative is to acquire an HP intake from 1964-early65. This accepts a Carter AFB with small throttle bores. (Hard to find) An easier way is to acquire later 273 heads or 318 heads and these will accept any carb. The factory produced a 318HP with a iron intake from 76-78. It is identicle to the 360 intake of the same period. These accept spread bore carbs and they are not so great. Hope this helps, Tom:cheers:

Thanks Tom,

I just went & checked & they are not vertical. I will pull it down & see how I go with a different intake.

Cheers Gra

They use smaller intake bolts on a slightly different angle
From what I read with washer it will still bolt on. I've heard other people use spherical wash too.

What is the casting numbers on the heads? 315 are the early ones and 920 are the later ones that fit most of the intakes out of there.

If the heads use 5/16 bolts at a steeper angle you can modify the angle in a later intake manifold with a drill enough to make it work. A few flat washers can mostly cover up the ugly. Certainly not the correct way to accomplis the job but it has been done countless times and does function.

there are aftermarket intakes for that engine, mine is made by offenhouser.

Attachments

• 64dart20.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 64dart21.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 168
Ok Thanks for the info guy's....It turns out I have a early 273 with the smaller bolts on a slightly different angle...I checked it out with a Eddy intake & it looks like it has enough clearance to go on I will use tapered washers to adjust for the different bolt angle.

My next question however is will later 273 heads interchange ?

Thanks Again Oz

The early bolts are not verticle, but are at a different angle than the later models.

64 & 65 had the different ones. Edelbrock made a manifold that fit these heads and worked great called the D4B, which is made for the unique bolt pattern for these engines/heads.

They made a version for the later 273-318 called the LD4B, and then the one for the larger ports called the LD340. They are all great dual plane intakes for the street. But they are no longer made. You would have to find a used one and they still pull a good buck today as they perform well.

Your other alternative would be to replace your heads with any head from 66 or later and the "standard" manifold will bolt on.

-
Back