Early 273 oil gallery plug removal

-

Wally-T

64 Signet
Reaction score
Hi again folks.
I want to remove the oil gallery plugs from the rear of the block but I can't figure out the tool size. 1/4" is too small and 3/8" is too big. They aren't corroded and are still square inside. Any suggestions ??
Thanks, Wally.

Just went thru this... Put a Hex Style back in there tho.

5.jpg

Thanks guys.
I hope I don't have to heat them JD. I don't have a torch lol. I think I will go with Doug's idea. Quick AND cheap.
And Eekvonzipper...Where the heck did you buy that thing? Never seen one!

Thanks guys.
I hope I don't have to heat them JD. I don't have a torch lol. I think I will go with Doug's idea. Quick AND cheap.
And Eekvonzipper...Where the heck did you buy that thing? Never seen one!
Found it on Fee-Bay it was about $10 Bucks and I had it in 3 day's.

Thank you. If grinding a bolt doesn't work, I'll try evil bay lol
Take a candle, light it and let the wax drip into the threads around the plug before you try to remove it. It's an old trick that lubricates the threads, but it works.

I used one of my Craftsman chisels and a crescent wrench Several of mine were the same size as the square hole on the plugs Yes you put the end you would hammer on into the plug hole (clarified that for newbies!) Good luck

Thank you. If grinding a bolt doesn't work, I'll try evil bay lol
I found a Snap On truck and bought a set that had a 5/16 in the set. It was like $60 for a set of 5 or 6 different sizes, and took a week or two to get shipped to the Snappy guy. He called me and I picked it up the next day.

Thanks for all the replies fellas.
I ended up grinding down an old 3/8" short extension. worked like a charm with my impact wrench!

-
Back