Early 60's to Mid 70's Racing Classes ( "stock" body )

-

LH23H2R

Reaction score
Is anyone here knowledgeable about the various stock-bodied racing classes from c.1960 - c.1976 ? I know there was :

- Super Stock
- F/X
- O/SS
- Stock ( e.g. , D-Stock )
- Modified Production
- S/FX
- Pro Stock ( '70 & later ? )
- ???

I'm building a couple of 1/25 scale race cars, and am wondering what class(es) they'd qualify for . If anyone has a rule book or any other literature they can share , that'd be great !
I know that some of these classes were super-strict , whereas some were more easy-going ( lots of grey areas ) .

Here's what I'm building :

- 1968 Hemi Dart : This one's going to be a GTS model with a crossram Hemi , T-Flite , Dana 60 . Full interior .
This is the new kit from Revell-Monogram ; it's based upon the '68 GTS / GSS , but has certain Hurst-Hemi parts included ( however , it has the GTS' upholstery pattern and door panels , instead of the 270 model's pattern ) .
I'm thinking Modified Production , but am not sure .

- 1969 Barracuda 383 : Old MPC-come-AMT kit , representing a "BH29H9B" car .
Stock 383 ( with power steering ) , 4 speed , 8.75 diff . Full interior .
C/Stock ?

Thanks much !

The first thing that popped in my memory was the "Gas" classes, better known currently as "Gassers". Although the classic "gasser" was an earlier-bodied car with tube axle front ends, the later years saw new body styles for better aerodynamics.
Take a look at the following link for a good explanation on class rules:

http://gassermadness.com/Gas_Classes/index.htm

Post up some pics of your build as you progress with it!

Is anyone here knowledgeable about the various stock-bodied racing classes from c.1960 - c.1976 ? I know there was :

- Super Stock
- F/X
- O/SS
- Stock ( e.g. , D-Stock )
- Modified Production
- S/FX
- Pro Stock ( '70 & later ? )
- ???

I'm building a couple of 1/25 scale race cars, and am wondering what class(es) they'd qualify for . If anyone has a rule book or any other literature they can share , that'd be great !
I know that some of these classes were super-strict , whereas some were more easy-going ( lots of grey areas ) .

Here's what I'm building :

- 1968 Hemi Dart : This one's going to be a GTS model with a crossram Hemi , T-Flite , Dana 60 . Full interior .
This is the new kit from Revell-Monogram ; it's based upon the '68 GTS / GSS , but has certain Hurst-Hemi parts included ( however , it has the GTS' upholstery pattern and door panels , instead of the 270 model's pattern ) .
I'm thinking Modified Production , but am not sure .

- 1969 Barracuda 383 : Old MPC-come-AMT kit , representing a "BH29H9B" car .
Stock 383 ( with power steering ) , 4 speed , 8.75 diff . Full interior .
C/Stock ?

Thanks much !

I began drag racing in the mid 60's and still race today. I raced everything from a P/S 283/2spd Pontiac to an A/GS Anglia back in the 60's and 70's. In the 80's & 90's - Pro Street Dakota. 2003 and on SS/AH '68 Cuda

Your '68 Hemi Dart is a SS/A or B car depending on NHRA's mood at the time.(SS/AH today) SS was the only class they were built for. In altered wheel base form it would be - A/FX, and Supercharged altered wheelbase - AA/FX. The original Hurst cars came with the up level interior so you are OK there.

The '68 Cuda 383 would fit in C or D Stock, SS/D , or D or E/ MP so the choice is pretty much yours.

Have fun with your builds.

sscuda

Thank you ocdart and sscuda for your replies and links :thumbup:.

I knew that there were power-to-weight ratios involved ; where it gets confusing for me is in regard to engine setback , interior , and aspiration ( Blown or N.A. ) .

The LO23M8B Dart certainly was intended for and directed to SS/A , SS/AA , SS/B and SS/BA classes . I wasn't aware that their interiors were premium line ( GT / GTS ) ; I thought they were of medium line
(270 model) derivatives .
I was prepared to build it as a GTS with a Hemi swap ( henceforth , the assumption that it'd fit into the MP class ).
Thanks for clarifying this for me :thumbup:.

*I'm still confused about the "H" suffix for the '68 H-H cars (SS/H , SS/AH ) ; what does this mean ?*

By the way : I highly recommend the new R-M '68 Dart GTS / SS kit !
In typical R-M tradition ( at least since the early-mid 90's and later ) , it's detailled as heck ; decals for everything ; minimal prep / massaging of the parts ( is this tooling really 15+ years old now ?!? It dates-back to the original '69 Dart GTS 383 from c.1994 ! ) ; and it looks great when finished :thumbup:

Thanks again , guys !
I'm looking forward to reading more replies :toothy1:

SS/AH, the top class of NHRA Super Stock, is reserved exclusively for '69 Hemi Dart and Hemi Barracuda factory race cars.
Guess you could say 'H' = HEMI.
Mopars racing exclusively in the top class.....as it should be.

In 1968, Dodge contracted Hurst Performance to build a limited number of 440 in³ V8-wedge and 426 Hemi-powered Darts to compete in the SS/B class as the LO23 Hurst Hemi Dart. Dart body shells were shipped to Hurst who would install a magnesium cross ram-inducted 426 Hemi into the engine bay, facilitated by sledge hammer hits to the fender wells to make room for the Hemi's installation. The rear wheel well arches were also modified in the same manner the shock towers were modified up front. Features included a fiberglass nose, fenders and hood, lightened bumpers, no side view mirrors, radio and heater delete, no soundproofing in the floor and firewall, no back seat, a trunk-mounted battery, acid dipped doors, belt straps for window cranks, Lexan windows, and Dodge A100 van seats mounted on drilled seat rails for decreased weight. These Darts rode on 7 x 14" steel wheels and came in two shades of gray primer with the nose a darker shade than the rest of the body. When shipped to a dealership, a Hemi Dart had a disclaimer on the window stating "Warning: this Super Stock vehicle is to be shipped on the bottom level only of all rail and truck transportation"; this was to ensure that the Hemi's low-hanging oil pan would not get damaged and keep the fiberglass nose from being damaged on any low-hanging obstacles. The Plymouth version was the Hurst Hemi Barracuda.

These cars would successfully cover the quarter mile with elapsed times in the ten second range. According to Chrysler staff engineer Larry Shepard, the majority of these Darts were Hemi powered, all though a small pilot run of fifty 440-powered Darts were also built in 1968. "In 1969," said Shepard, "we built over 600 440-powered Darts-basically the same as the 383 GTS, except for the engine

!970 NHRA Rules: http://quartermilers.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=rules&action=display&thread=932

-
Back