Early (65) Torqueflite Questions

-

d55dave

Reaction score
I am rebuilding a 65 vintage Torqueflite for a friends 64 belvedere and have a few questions...

1 - the 65 and 66 rear pump slip yoke autos used an internal seal on the output shaft and a grease lubricated yoke with a vent hole. Can I leave the internal seal off the output shaft and run a conventional atf lubed slip yoke?

2 - are all cable shift valve bodies the same, or are push button ones different from cable column and console ones?

3 - has anyone done the conversion to larger late style reaction and input shafts, and if so is there a preferred date range of parts to use? I assume the pump, reaction shaft and input shaft all get changed?

Any other advice on building a percormance 65 vintage torqueflite? The intention is to have a slip yoke button shifted trans.

Thanks!

Comments inside the quote; sorry I couldn't help more
I am rebuilding a 65 vintage Torqueflite for a friends 64 belvedere and have a few questions...

1 - the 65 and 66 rear pump slip yoke autos used an internal seal on the output shaft and a grease lubricated yoke with a vent hole. Can I leave the internal seal off the output shaft and run a conventional atf lubed slip yoke?
If you can install the seal at the end of the tail,I don't see a problem
2 - are all cable shift valve bodies the same, or are push button ones different from cable column and console ones? IDK

3 - has anyone done the conversion to larger late style reaction and input shafts, and if so is there a preferred date range of parts to use? I assume the pump, reaction shaft and input shaft all get changed? IDK but I agree. I think the 67 to 72 stuff is a good candidate. Don't forget to fit the TC hub to your crank.

Any other advice on building a percormance 65 vintage torqueflite? The intention is to have a slip yoke button shifted trans.I imagine that is doable

Thanks!

2 - are all cable shift valve bodies the same, or are push button ones different from cable column and console ones?

3 - has anyone done the conversion to larger late style reaction and input shafts, and if so is there a preferred date range of parts to use? I assume the pump, reaction shaft and input shaft all get changed?

Any other advice on building a percormance 65 vintage torqueflite? The intention is to have a slip yoke button shifted trans.

Thanks!
You may want to consider posting this question on the moparts.com board. There's a guy over there, John Kunkel, who is an authority on t-flites and usually responds to questions like yours promptly.

First question. 904 or 727? I assume 727, as I have never seen a cable shifted 904, with a slip spline output. Cable shift valve bodies are different for the Push button, and "selector" shifters. But can be modified, to work with different shifters, or swapped out. The PB has 5 detents, and the column/floor shifters have 6 detents. You can just swap the 64 valve body into the 65 trans. Can't help on the other questions, as I'm not familiar enough with the early 727.

An option with the vallve body, is install the 64 manual valve and rooster comb, into the 65 valve body, then you can use the PB shifter.

Yes, 727. Thanks for the answers. I will dig throught the pile of parts and see if I have a pb vb, otherwise just use the one with the extra detent. Apparently this is not a problem but the cable has to be adjusted by the column / console procedure.

-
Back