Early 904/360 torque converter concerns

-

oldwirebender

Reaction score
I have a '65 Barracuda that I am in the process of swapping in a 360. I know the 360 is externally balanced. The engine builder supplied me with a flex plate with the weights on it. My concern is I have been reading that the snout on the converter is smaller than the hole on the end of the 360's crankshaft. Is this an issue with a weighted flex plate?

If you are using the original push button torque converter the snout is smaller. You can swap out the front three segments in the tranny to get the 68 and later input shaft and then use the more common 68 and later torque converter or just contact Pat Blais at 206-365-1966 or [email protected] and he'll sell you a spacer ring to match the early torque converter to a 68 or later crank.

Oops, I didn't really mean the 64 pushbutton but actually the 65 cable shifted. The info is the same for 64 and 65 though.....

Thanks Grimreaper, I ordered the spacer ring from tflightpatty today. One thing I discovered, the hole on the end of the 318's crankshaft is the same size as the 360's. The 318 is an early 1968 model. I had a vibration when driving at highway speeds, I thought were the tires out of balance, but when I replaced the tires and rims, the vibration was still there. could running this combinatiation of small converter snout and large crankshaft hole without a spacer ring cause this vibration?

Yes, that can certainly cause a vibration. You're lucky it if it didn't damage anything...

-
Back