Early 904 kickdown linkage

-

65Butterface

Reaction score
Does anybody know the length of the circled rod? It goes from the throttle valve arm at the transmission to the lower bellcrank pivot. I currently have the wrong lower pivot and rod. I can find the pivot but I can't find the rod. Mine is adjustable, so if I can get the length I can make it work. Any help on this kickdown issue is appreciated. Thanks

20240411_185021.jpg

Screenshot_20240411-184944_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240410-203819_Drive.jpg

"Early" kickdown linkage? What year, exactly? Looks nothing like my '66 linkage, more like '67 maybe? I've got various linkages, if I knew which one maybe I could help.

I should have a NOS rod here somewhere... Had the same question and found a NOS on ebay and bought it. Turns out the one I had was the same so I used that.

Last edited:
"Early" kickdown linkage? What year, exactly? Looks nothing like my '66 linkage, more like '67 maybe? I've got various linkages, if I knew which one maybe I could help.
I'm not sure exactly which year. Its in a 65 but the motor is out of a 67. I assumed the trans was original

I guess I should specify that its a 67 318 4bbl in a 65 dart wagon. Car was originally a 273 car so I assume the trans is the original 904

'66 and earlier cars had a kickdown linkage that mounted to the rear of the driver's side cylinder head, and not to the manifold bolts. I'm sure the rest of the linkage rods are different also. What you need is the '67 rod- I'll see if I've got anything when I get back to the shop tomorrow hopefully.
Early A:
1712954047702.png

If you do have the original '65 transmission, part of your issue could be a difference in the kickdown lever on your trans. vs. the '67 linkage that you're trying to use- there's the possibility that the part you may need is a '67 lever to work with your linkage. I don't have both available, but maybe someone has both types of levers and can clarify if there are differences, maybe in lever positioning or length.

'66 and earlier cars had a kickdown linkage that mounted to the rear of the driver's side cylinder head, and not to the manifold bolts. I'm sure the rest of the linkage rods are different also. What you need is the '67 rod- I'll see if I've got anything when I get back to the shop tomorrow hopefully.
Early A:
View attachment 1716235655
If you do have the original '65 transmission, part of your issue could be a difference in the kickdown lever on your trans. vs. the '67 linkage that you're trying to use- there's the possibility that the part you may need is a '67 lever to work with your linkage. I don't have both available, but maybe someone has both types of levers and can clarify if there are differences, maybe in lever positioning or length.
Sounds reasonable. Upper is 67 but the lower is just a straight pivot. I found what looks like the correct pivot from classic industries and I will try the 8 inch length that Signet measured

-
Back