Early A /6 Oil Pump Pickup?

-

blind bat

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a Melling 66-S4 oil pump pickup will work with a 1965 Dart pan? My original pickup had a straight tube like an 440 pickup and the 66-S4 has a jog in it.

This is the 66-S4 pickup that Melling lists for ‘67-76 A Body Slants:
1724565322668.jpeg

This is what my pickup looks like:
1724565448149.jpeg

Thanks!

The Chrysler parts catalog shows only the pickup from 61 thru 66 will work : #2206317
67-76 used a different number #2780999
This is for the 225 engine.
Maybe others can provide additional information.

Last edited:
I don't know. I have never checked that out. I should have both type pick ups here, and a block and oil pan, but won't have time to check it out for over a week. I'm trying to get ready to go to a slant six race up in Kentucky next weekend. I only have today and Monday to work on my trailer brakes, and finish the race car.

Let me see if I can see through the plastic wrap in my engine. I can't remember, but I think they will both work on the early A. brb.

I cannot tell which one it is through the plastic wrap. I don't remember for sure and I'm not going to unwrap it right now. I am almost 100% sure it is the one with the bend and I am also almost 100% sure I've pulled both types off early A bodies. Almost. I know that doesn't help much.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if a Melling 66-S4 oil pump pickup will work with a 1965 Dart pan? My original pickup had a straight tube like an 440 pickup and the 66-S4 has a jog in it.

This is the 66-S4 pickup that Melling lists for ‘67-76 A Body Slants:
View attachment 1716294286

This is what my pickup looks like:
View attachment 1716294287

Thanks!
Aight den, I dood you a favor. I cut a small slit in the plastic wrap. My pickup is the one with the extra bend. I've had my early A body pan on and off mocking everything up and it fit fine. I think what they did was just use the one pickup with the extra bend for all of them since it does fit both the early and late A body pan. So there you go. The 66-S4 fits the early a body pan. It even fits with my windage tray. The straight one would have too, though.

Oh and one more tidbit. That early A body oil pan is one of a kind. None of the rest will fit the early A body chassis. Not even the one they call the "universal" pan as it still needs a "love dent" on the driver's side front corner of the sump. The early A body pan is the only one that's a drop in fit. I'm glad I have three of um. They hardly ever come up on ebay.

You are the man Rusty! Thanks to everyone in the thread. I opened up my original pickup to clean out the grease like schmoo but I wasn’t happy with the amount of dents and hackery that resulted. I probably should have heated it up before trying to unbend the crimp.

-
Back