early a ball joint socket

-

dan5354

Reaction score
If what I've been reading is true - the early a bodies need a smaller ball joint socket than the 1 59/64" socket. Since Advance auto here has a 1 59/64" socket they will lend out and the sizes are relatively close. I am wondering if anyone out there has successfully used this socket to get the smaller ball joints out, or will I need to spring for the smaller one? Thanks

Send a PM to member KrazyKuda. He lives near you & may have one you can borrow if you're nice to him....:)

I made one years ago from a Craftsman 1 1/2" 3/4 drive 12 point socket ground out about 1/2" of 4 of the points of the socket so it would fit the ball joint. Will ad pictures later.

Edit: I take that back it is a 1 3/4" socket and here is a picture Brian

Attachments

• SDC10862.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 99
  • SDC10863.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 113
  • SDC10864.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 102
Pop the boot off and use a pipe wrench from the under side to break it loose. Works best with the UCA still on the car.

I think 60-72 A-bodys use a 1 3/4 ball joint socket I have a chart and that is what it says

I have the 1 3/4" square socket that I used when I rebuilt the front end on my Barracuda. It's not doing me any good lying in my tool box. I you want, pm me your address, and I will mail it to you tomorrow. It shouldn't take that long to get there . I don't live that far from you. When you are done with it, send it back to me.

-
Back