Early A-body exhaust

-

Claydart

MOPAR to the very bones
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi there everyone, I was just wondering if anyone on here has looked into having just exhaust manifolds made up for 273 to 340 or 360 conversions? I have the original 273 manifolds on my 340 in my 64 Dart GT right now, but I'm thinking that I might check out some different options like having some short manifolds made up instead of headers. Any thoughts?

Huh? Find a shop to design the core boxes and cores, and produce those cores and boxes for casting manifolds will cost you about $10, 000 per side. Then find a foundry to cast them and a machine shop to machine the surfaces and then we'll talk. Someone already reproduces the 340 manifolds and you can find used ones at swap meets although they aren't cheap nowadays. THere are also threads here telling about a combination of stock manifolds that work and fit pretty well. TTI makes head pipes for a list of manifolds you can use that hook to their dual exhaust set ups. There are a few headers available. Hookers, Dougs, and even Layson's makes a set that are shorties. They may be one step better than the 340 manifolds but I haven't seen any dyno tests on them. No reason to reinvent the wheel unless you are made of money.

If your running manual steering, you can use Ram truck or jeep stock manifolds for the 5.2-5.9 with minor modifications, they have a 1 7/8 exit port, I'm sure they flow better than 273 manifolds. look at other threads for more info. You can also look for some 2 1/8 exit port ones just more modification needed for early A body.
I'm doing a mockup a 5.9 in my 64 Dart now, so far everything fits except steering column and shaft, I have the parts now to upgrade the column and shaft, I just need to go slow due to the body not wanting to do what the brain says.

Huh? Find a shop to design the core boxes and cores, and produce those cores and boxes for casting manifolds will cost you about $10, 000 per side. Then find a foundry to cast them and a machine shop to machine the surfaces and then we'll talk. Someone already reproduces the 340 manifolds and you can find used ones at swap meets although they aren't cheap nowadays. THere are also threads here telling about a combination of stock manifolds that work and fit pretty well. TTI makes head pipes for a list of manifolds you can use that hook to their dual exhaust set ups. There are a few headers available. Hookers, Dougs, and even Layson's makes a set that are shorties. They may be one step better than the 340 manifolds but I haven't seen any dyno tests on them. No reason to reinvent the wheel unless you are made of money.
I didn't mean cast manifolds, I was wondering about some kind of tubular manifolds made from header tubing into a log style tubular "manifold" with an outlet similar to a regular cast type manifold. I certianly understand all the steps to produce cast manifolds.

If your running manual steering, you can use Ram truck or jeep stock manifolds for the 5.2-5.9 with minor modifications, they have a 1 7/8 exit port, I'm sure they flow better than 273 manifolds. look at other threads for more info. You can also look for some 2 1/8 exit port ones just more modification needed for early A body.
I'm doing a mockup a 5.9 in my 64 Dart now, so far everything fits except steering column and shaft, I have the parts now to upgrade the column and shaft, I just need to go slow due to the body not wanting to do what the brain says.
I have power steering in my car right now, and I am not looking forward to changing all that out just yet.

I didn't mean cast manifolds, I was wondering about some kind of tubular manifolds made from header tubing into a log style tubular "manifold" with an outlet similar to a regular cast type manifold. I certianly understand all the steps to produce cast manifolds.
Harold started making them. Laysons has them available now. One step above 340 manifolds. (one small step) They exit in a strange place and you had better have a good exhaust shop nearby to get them hooked up. Search "Spitfire" here n the site.

spitfire.jpg

My buddy had a 66 barracuda with a 360 and fabbed exhaust exactly as you describe. I think you'd have to make it yourself or convince someone else to

Harold started making them. Laysons has them available now. One step above 340 manifolds. (one small step) They exit in a strange place and you had better have a good exhaust shop nearby to get them hooked up. Search "Spitfire" here n the site.

View attachment 1716141850
I never understood the fascination with those things. I thought they SUCKED and still do. To the OP, just get a set of Dougs headers.

If you decide to change to manual steering, column and shaft you can add electric power steering under dash unit.
Just more work to do.

Maybe the Sanderson DD9 might be something you're interested in?
Just saw those for the first time yesterday. They look nice and you don't have to weld the connections on like the spitfires do. The spitfires are aimed straight at the driver's torsion bar as if they were designed for a coil over conversion.

I put a set of Sanderson on 64cuda 318 fit is tight and had to slightly dimple tube to clear steering but they worked great Been on now for about 5yrs

-
Back