Early A Body rear axle housing interchange questions.

-

A Body Nut

Reaction score
I am new to early A Bodies. Had later A Bodies for decades. Need some information from folks in the know.
Is it true that I can take a 7 1/4 or 8/ 1/4 large bolt rear end from a Scamp, Duster, or Dart and the rear end is a direct bolt in right onto the leafsprings on my 65 Barracuda and the rear end is the same size drum to drum? Picked up a nice Barracuda and found the previous owner did a disc brake conversion on the front in large bolt but left small bolt on the back. Thanks in advance for the info,
Chas.

20241002_122901.jpg

Yes you can take a later A body rear and bolt it in. You will probably need different hardware, drive shaft etc, but it is doable.

1728947310129.png

yeah, a later 7.25 or 8.25 will bolt in.

the 8.25 will need larger u bolts and different shock plates due to the 3" axle tube diameter. the driveshaft will also have to be shortened.

you'll need to play with the e-brake cables to figure out what works.

you'll also need a new drop line for the brakes

And your 65 transmission, if you still have it, has a ball and trunnion front U joint. You might need a different or modified driveshaft. Different length and/or rear yoke depending on what rear end you use.

You can also have your existing driveshaft shortened and put the correct end on it. Any driveshaft shop can do it. Also have them rebalance it and if it's rusty clean it up first.

Buy a 8 3/4 housing and the ratio center you want. Then get after market axles and a disc brake kit. Eliminate the need for backing plates and brake hardware. A-body 8 3/4 housings are getting scarce, But B, C , E and truck are still plentiful at good prices.

Mancini Has the housing ends and perches at reasonable prices. Make exactly the width and ratio you need and never look back. It will last your life time.

Even if the diff has problems or you want to change ratios the housing will be permanent to the car. For the practical man there is nothing better then 8 3/4 Mopar and 9 inch Ford.banjo style housings. Sure Danas are nice but try doing a quick gear swap or repairing a scattered Differential. And the 7 1/4's ? They are even the worse. When you break them your usually looking for a whole rear.

-
Back