Early-A Convertible Chassis Reinforcement

-

GaryS

Reaction score
Before totally rebuilding the suspension and steering, and soundproofing my '64 Valiant convertible, there was enough slop in everything to absorb any chassis movement, or at least to make it unnoticeable. Now the car is quiet and tight and chassis flex has become obvious.

Has anyone reinforced the frame on an early-A convertible? If so, what were the results and what would you recommend?

Use search terms torque boxes and subframe connecters. You should find the answers you need.

Did the search exercise, but unless I missed something there are no discussions about early-A convertibles.

I was hoping someone has worked on cowl shake issues that are unique to convertibles. Maybe some stiffening or damping beyond sub-frame connectors. I'm told that certain Ford and GM convertibles use some sort of damper inside the front fenders that helps minimize body movement.

Here's what the factory installed in a body convertibles.....

Attachments

• '65ABodyVertRockerReinforcement1.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 430
  • '65ABodyVertRockerReinforcement2.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 431
Sub-frame connectors will do the most.
Up front, you could just bolt a couple of struts between the firewall top flange, and the fender bolts, as was done in some 70's cars. I welded up a shock tower brace that was my usual brand of overkill, and maybe heavier than necessary. I also added a roll bar, so my 67 convertible is super-tight. I also bolted a piece of tubing across the radiator shroud, low down.
L1110684.jpg

Interesting cross-section pics, 65Val, thanks.

Weld in a set of frame connectors, made from 2x4 inch rectangle steel tubing 120 wall, make a cardboard template of the contour of your floor and transfer it to the rectangular tube, after a lot of grinding, and welding you won't have any problems with keeping things straight and strong. Xv and us cartool sells them but I don't think they have them for early a bodys.

-
Back