Early A Floor Pan Stress Cracks

-

jw133489

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have found that the floor pan around the bolt holes for the driver's seat is cracked due to the flexing of the seat.

I am going to re-weld the crack but have been scratching my head on how to re-enforce the floor to prevent future cracking. I have thought that if I put down another plate and weld it in it would just move the stress crack to another location.

Any ideas or suggestions on how other have addressed this would be appreciated.

Jesse

Early a-body bucket seat cars did have a double layer of steel for all 4 bolts per seat. I am welding braces from the frame connectors to the rocker panel and bolting the seat on top of the brace.

I am installing the subframe connectors from US car tool. This might reduce the foorpan flexing some. I guess I will add a second plate to the floor on the inside as well. My barracuda had factory buckets but the floor was a single layer floorpan.

The factory supports were only about 2" square plates on the inboard and longer strips on the outboard. The factory supports were underneath the car on the bottom of the floor pan not the interior side.

-
Back