Early A headliner install question

-

Mineallmine

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing the headliner in my 63 Dart. I have the front hooked into the Sharks teeth and part of the rear. The question I have is how much material should I leave to push up into the Sharks teeth above the doors?

Don't want to cut off more than I need but don't want to try to stuff too much into it to either damage or not hold properly.

Happy with how the front and rear are going as I don't have any wrinkles to the first bow and when I stretch it to each side the wrinkles seem to pull out nice.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here's where I am so far

20230303_170438_HDR.jpg

20230303_170453_HDR.jpg

You should be pulling the headliner front while the rear bow is being held by the specific length wire hooked to the rear window frame. Stretch the liner front pulling the against the rear bow. and then to the side starting at the front and to the sides working your way back. Then start at the rear bow and work your way front. The rear bow to the rear widow frame is last to be stretched. every car model has a specific length wire.

100_0099.JPG

100_0100 (2).JPG

100_0098.JPG

Follow instructions above. Don’t cut the sides yet. You put one thickness of material in the teeth. When done and satisfied with lack of wrinkles then trim the material.

Have the wires in place. Had to make some as mine were missing and couldn't find 63 specific ones. Bows line up good. I did pull the front first to pull against the wires. Then I did the center of the rear pulling towards the sides to get it positioned (read that on line and that's what I did with the beetle headliner I did). Just need to start pulling to the sides to get it snug and tucked in. Just don't want to leave too much material.

Are you saying I get it tight with no wrinkles, then pull down the excess (I'm guessing leaving it hooked into the Sharks teeth on the side) and trim, then push it back up into the groove?

Thanks for the help

Got the headliner in. Never came out too bad for only my third try. The sharks teeth on the sides were a pain. Didn't want to grab in some spots. Got a few wrinkles in the rear. Hopefully they come out when the sun hits it and warms up the interior.

20230304_190517_HDR.jpg

20230304_190522_HDR.jpg

20230304_190541_HDR.jpg

-
Back