Early A heater controls ????'s

-

AussiePlymouths

Reaction score
Hoping someone may be able to answer this tech question on the '63/'64 Valiant heater controls.

Do the control knobs for both years have the same length cables?

Explanation:
I have a '63 but I don't like the heater controls being in the plastic bezel in the middle of the dash down the bottom. JMO.

I think that they got it right with the '64 controls on the top part of the dash - I think that they look at home there. Anyway, I'm not into Concourse with this car and down here in Australia nobody but me is going to know as our '63's were quite different anyway.

So - can I just cut the new holes and move my cables up and expect them to reach OR will I need to source another set from a '64?
One of our FABO members has a set for sale now.

As usual all input gladly appreciated - thanks in advance :glasses7:

I can't remember, but at least one of them is a little different I do believe. I have extra 63 stuff. It might be easier to swap dashes. There are little notches in the dash by the holes for the cables that the bezels use to stay upright so that you can read them. That being said you could use a nip tool(not sure what the correct term is)....which does the same thing for electric cabinets around switches so that they stay up right too.

I hope this helps. My extra dash isn't here right now.....if it was I could try and measure to give you exact holes dimensions.

I would try it and see, after all, the cable are low meaning the cable are probably longer or the same, if 63 is slightly longer, I would think they will work. I might be able to get the parts for you if they are different, not sure if the controls are the same or not, I know there was also a nice aluminum dash trim bezel on the 64 model too, might be able to get the 3 piece trim set too if you like :glasses7:

Let me know what you find out, I have shipped parts to you before and will do it again if needed :thumleft:

now I find the post again I just took the windshield and complete dash out of my 64/65 barracuda 1 cable sais 66 valiant on it so I think most should interchange
1 cable is 22 inches 1 cable is 25" and 1 is 33" they all had a little slack in them but they pull all the way if you need 1 15.00 if you want all 3 45.00+ ride 10$ probobly but I don't ship overseas they whole dash is for sale heres some pics I hope they come up, to see if its the same dash were working with if more pics or questions needed pm me for phone #

Attachments

• 100_0662.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_0658.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 100_0693.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 107
  • 100_0696.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 110
Thanks Boys!
Some great advice and thanks for offering help.

Winston: Nice of you to offer those knobs of yours from the '64 Barracuda.
They look in nice shape, but the knobs are different to my '63, so I'll pass on that.

Keith: Yes I think that you're on the right track and that my cables would either be the same or longer, because as you said they are mounted down lower, I didn't think of that (duh!). I have a couple of nice dash trim sets but thanks for offering them and thanks for volunteering to ship.

moparlee: Good point about the round holes having that notch although I reckon I can cover that with a metal cutoff wheel and a file.

In short, if I decide to do it I will try with my knobs and cables - thanks again to everyone.
Regards

-
Back