early a lower ball joints.

-

hw612

The Mopar Martian.
Reaction score
theres no way im paying napa 100 bucks a piece for lbjs, is there any alternatives can you replace just the joint instead of the whole arm?
any cheap places online to get em?

try rock auto . com or some of the other suspension places that advertise in the mopar magazines,,, 100 each sounds high...

I don't know what is up with some parts at NAPA and it's not just now.About 6-8 years ago, lower control arm bushings were $33 each. Course I should have asked first, but they had them and I needed them.

some times on older cars,,like our early A,,, u just have to be thank ful some one has the parts,,

if we drove mustangs or thunder birds,,or crapmaros,,,we would be just like the other guys,,lol

if i remember right the they used the same balljoint from 64 to 76 .. if im not right tell me lol cuz i would need to take them back lol

theres no way im paying napa 100 bucks a piece for lbjs, is there any alternatives can you replace just the joint instead of the whole arm?
any cheap places online to get em?
Hello;
I have a pair of USA made,new, Moog joints, fit a bodys '67-'72 I'll sell. $100.00
a pair shipped for drum brake cars or $120.00 a pair, shipped, for disc brake cars.
Paypal ok.
Thank you,

Shop around. NAPA seems to be a bit steep on prices, at least where I live. Try CarQuest, O'Riley, PST or even AutoZone. Get the part number so you have a direct comparison. 100 per ball joint seems high. The ball joint and steering arm are integral for these cars. To my knowledge, there is no way to install a new ball joint into an old steering arm in your home shop. I've never seen replacement ball joints for such a repair. If I'm wrong here, please chime in.

Go to our website and fill in your vehicle info. Most of our early a bodies lowers are around $50 each, plus keep in mind that we provide free shipping with the US. WWW.P-S-T.COM

James From
PST Marketing Supervisor
1-800-247-2288
Ext 316

Cheapest on Rockauto seems to be around 57.

PST's deal seems to be a pretty good one, especially considering the shipping.

You could do like I did and cheat. One of the reasons I put '73-'76 discs on my '66 Valiant was 20 bucks versus 100 for lower ball joints. Stops a lot better too.

People ask $$$ for the early A drum lower ball joints. I broke down and paid $65 ea at Autozone. Since replacing mine, I got another for ~$25 off ebay a year ago. 2 weeks ago, I ran across some on ebay for $13 ea (K-785), right side only, from Just Suspension. I grabbed 2. They are Moog "One World" (or such). The box has a "Made in USA" label, but also "Taiwain". They look well made. Probably still up there, and ad said "when gone, they are gone". I don't worry about having too many parts, indeed I recently bought another early A.

My advice is take your time, search, and grab parts cheap when you can, or you can just pay list price and easily wind up with a >$10K car that is worth $5K.

PST has them for around $50. There are two different lower ball joints on the Early-A's. Smaller one for the 9" and the larger one for the 10" and Discs.
You might verify that. rockauto and others show one PN ball joint for drum brakes and another PN for disc brakes. They don't distinguish 9" or 10" drums. I understand that the 2 ball joints have the same spacing, but disc ones have larger bolt holes. The disc ones are much cheaper, so maybe one could add a tube spacer for the smaller bolt, though (as mentioned) you can find drum ones cheap if you search and wait. I know 73+ ball joints have a wider bolt spacing since I got some in error.

You might verify that. rockauto and others show one PN ball joint for drum brakes and another PN for disc brakes. They don't distinguish 9" or 10" drums. I understand that the 2 ball joints have the same spacing, but disc ones have larger bolt holes. The disc ones are much cheaper, so maybe one could add a tube spacer for the smaller bolt, though (as mentioned) you can find drum ones cheap if you search and wait. I know 73+ ball joints have a wider bolt spacing since I got some in error.
Correct. Up through '72 they use one ball joint for drum brakes and the same one with bigger diameter mounting holes for the disc brakes. You can swap them if you drill out the hole or sleeve them as the case may be.

I drilled my 10"'s for disk's with a 9/16 bit, slow speed, med feed. and lots of cutting fluid is a must. The difference is 1/2" holes for drums, 9/16" for disk.

-
Back