early A slant header

-
More info on www.slantsix.org, where Dutra is a founder and sells (or did) the Dutra Dual exhaust which is cast-iron. There are a few tube headers, but some are too long for an A, plus early A has even less room. If a 65- auto tranny, don't let the exhaust burn your shift & park cables.

Why hasn't anyone (or has anyone) bothered to do a run of replica Hyperpak headers? I'd love a set for our 64 Dart. I'm in Australia and I'm really stuck for decent manifold choices, all the tube-headers (as you guys call them) make me nervous as to whether they will fit because our car is still left-hand drive. I'll be watching this thread to see what the outcome is.

manual steering, auto on the floor ( aftermarket shifter on 66+ trans )
I have a Aussie speed ( hurricane ? ) intake I was planning on using, so dutra duals might be out.
not sure that combination will work.

Why hasn't anyone (or has anyone) bothered to do a run of replica Hyperpak headers? I'd love a set for our 64 Dart. I'm in Australia and I'm really stuck for decent manifold choices, all the tube-headers (as you guys call them) make me nervous as to whether they will fit because our car is still left-hand drive. I'll be watching this thread to see what the outcome is.

There is a member over at slant6.org who has a set of the Hyperpac exhaust manifolds and is planning on getting them reproduced if there is enough interest.

There is an Aussie company reproducing a close copy of the old Clifford long tube headers designed for use with power steering. And of course there are the Clifford shorties for use with manual steering.

I thought all the Aussie stuff was 67-up? I have also sent an email to Doug on the Dutra Duels ( thanks Dan! ) I had forgot about those! they look like an Awesome option! as I plan on driving the Heck outta this thing when done!

Last edited:
The photos I have seen (and downloaded) of various header setups are posted here. I'm interested in this thread because I am trying to do pretty much the same thing, and at risk of 'hijacking' this thread, I will soon post my own, but hope the pictures help.
The first photo is the Dutra Duals, according to the owner, you have to run a 'short starter motor', and cut/grind part of the flange on the rear pipe, and a heat shield, which all sounds like a headache and an invitation for problems.
Second and third photo shows a setup with a Dutra Dual front header and what looks like a cut-and-shut rear half of a standard manifold, I have no idea what the performance outcome of this is, except the hot box is retained, which does attach to the Offenhauser manifold.
Fourth photo shows the Hyperpak setup which fits and clears everything!
Hope this helps, if nothing else it gives a few examples of how guys are doing things.

Exhaust Headers.jpg

Slant 6_Twin Carb_8.jpg

Slant 6_Twin Carb_7.jpg

Hyperpak_3.jpg

Not quite. The first pic is what's called "Dual Dutra Duals", that is two front-3 Dutra castings.

The second and third pic are Dutra Duals: a new Dutra front-3 casting and a cut/capped stock manifold for the rear 3.

Last pic obvs Hyper Pak.

Not quite. The first pic is what's called "Dual Dutra Duals", that is two front-3 Dutra castings.

The second and third pic are Dutra Duals: a new Dutra front-3 casting and a cut/capped stock manifold for the rear 3.

Last pic obvs Hyper Pak.

Thanks for the reply, "Dual Dutra Duals", right, looks like I've got a bit more research to do! I've probably just muddied the water for the originator of this thread. Bathurst 1000 today, do you guys get that in America?

Make a copy of the Hyperpaks out of Header tubes. Even a muffler shop could make them for you for less than a set of Cliffords. Just give them the Ebay flanges.....Doug said the capped riser side flowed as well as the fronts, although it looks like it wouldnt.

DSCN0076_20_zps689dfccb.jpg

Make a copy of the Hyperpaks out of Header tubes. Even a muffler shop could make them for you for less than a set of Cliffords. Just give them the Ebay flanges.....Doug said the capped riser side flowed as well as the fronts, although it looks like it wouldnt.

View attachment 1714978832
The advantage of the cut-and-capped manifold is that you retain a hot-box which will mate to the Offenhauser intake, giving preheat for cold climates.
You're right, they don't look like they would flow, almost to the point in my case that I was just going to leave the standard exhausts and be done with it, nobody in Australia can guarantee their headers will fit or work with early A-body car, or with left hand drive.
How good do those Hyperpack Headers look! I saw that pic elsewhere on the 'net, they were my screen-saver for a couple of days.
I can see they've had a bit of a welding repair done but who cares, the owner is a lucky man! I don't know why someone doesn't do a run of these and we can chuck all this other stuff in the skip!
Or maybe someone (Hint, Doug Dutra!) can do a run on rear pipes that will fit properly and eliminate the modified standard pipe?
I like your idea of getting a muffler shop to do a tubular equivalent, that's got me thinking.
Regarding the Cliffords, they look like they will fit well, they really look the part, but trawling through FABO posts (some very old ones, c.2006) there was a few really negative comments about them: poor fitment, lack of willingness of the manufacturer to assist, took forever to supply them. Maybe that has improved?
Are Dutra Headers something which can be bought new or are they a period speed equipment item and I need to search for it on eBay? Do they supply a 'Dutra-Prepared' rear pipe, or do you do this yourself?

Yeah, same ol' Clifford, full of laffs. They have a long and ugly (and current) reputation for being a bunch of clowns; see for example here, here, here, here, and here. Much of what they sell is inaccurately described, and a lot of it is not even slightly cost-effective.

Yeah, same ol' Clifford, full of laffs. They have a long and ugly (and current) reputation for being a bunch of clowns; see for example here, here, here, here, and here. Much of what they sell is inaccurately described, and a lot of it is not even slightly cost-effective.
Thanks Dan,
You're full of good advice today!
I think I'll stay away from them, last thing I need is to be trying to organise warranty claims from the other side of the planet with people who won't reply to emails or phone calls.
Regards,

Nigel, What about Aussie Speed. They say they make a header that fits the left hand drive
I have a set, here, but haven't tried them yet.
Aussie speed performance manifolds alloy valve covers roller rocker spacers air filters for Holden Ford Valiant Chevrlot V8 V6 and inline 6 cylinder engines Aussiespeed performance shop
I am aware of them, we swear by their inlet manifolds, and I understand the Americans love them too. For our car I was really after something that looked 'old school', hence I want to run the Offenhauser 2 x 1BBL set up, apparently Summit still sell them. For exhausts my original thoughts were along the lines of an after-market cast header, I researched those and ended up in this discussion about Dutra Duals, Clifford tubular headers, etc, but ideally I was interested in whether anyone was casting replica Hyperpak headers? Apparently someone is keen, but subject to sufficient interest, whoever that somebody may be.

There is currently a set of Dutra dual headers for sale on the Craigslist - Sacramento site for ~$250. Not mine and know nothing about them or the seller. For those hoping to add a turbo someday, dual headers is the wrong direction.

-
Back