Early A Throttle Cable ???

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there a differance in length between the 2 barrel V8 cable and the 4 barrel cable on an early A?

I used the same throttle cable on the wifes 66 Cuda when changing over to a 273 commando 4 bbl from a 273 2 bbl. The kickdown linkage will have to be changed however, and I used the setup from a 340, I think I got it from R/T specialties. Hope this helps, Geof

You can get a later model cable and mod the pedal where it attaches. I think I was able to get an extra long cable on Ebay a while back, do a search, there are the like 68-71 340 4v cables are a little longer and then there are even longer cables for hise rise intakes etc. Also you will need to mod the bracket or get one from Bochlin or another one etc. like R/T sells:)

What style and length are you looking for?

I have two early style throttle cables for sale. One is off a 69 340 and is 19 inches long. The other is the same style and is 24 inches long.

The 24 inch has been totally restored/reconditioned and the 19 inch is original but in perfect shape.

$20 for the 19 inch and $30 for the 24 inch.

pm if interested

You can get a later model cable and mod the pedal where it attaches. I think I was able to get an extra long cable on Ebay a while back, do a search, there are the like 68-71 340 4v cables are a little longer and then there are even longer cables for hise rise intakes etc. Also you will need to mod the bracket or get one from Bochlin or another one etc. like R/T sells:)

I have cables, not sure if there two different lengths (2bl/4bl) The cable on my 64 post car will have to be shortened in that i'm running duel 4's and you run on the rear carb making it difficult to use the stock cable.

Some hardware stores sell aircraft grade stainless cable in the size you need, you can buy it by the foot and make your own. The store in my area is a True Value.

Some hardware stores sell aircraft grade stainless cable in the size you need, you can buy it by the foot and make your own. The store in my area is a True Value.

Yes, I know. I may end up doing that. As it's installed now, the cable is way too long for me to install on the rear carb.

I used a 73 Duster 318 2bbl throttle cable on my 66 Valiant 340, fit is nice and works great. I have a M1 MP intake, Holly carb with adapter linkage for Mopar, 1" carb spacer and adjustable throttle cable bracket from Mancini, still, stock gas pedal too. With all the mods the stock 2bbl one fits great!

I also used a 72 Duster trottle cable and gas peddle.Works much better for me with a V8.I couldn,t find all the early V8 linkages and this was free!:toothy7:

I used the stock 2bbl cable, but, the bracket is different
and I had to fabricate one myself.

6f40.jpg

mechanicposter.jpg

I'm with moron on this one. Just engineer a new mounting bracket for the existing cable.

Looks like the metal you fabbed is black? my problem is the cable is way too long. I may just shorten the existing cable.

Yes, its black I was lazy and didn't paint the thing;
it was in the junk pile, it was a yard gate latch, needed to get the
cable further to the rear and towards the drivers side fender more.

I would not suggest you shorten the cable, the V8 cable is tough to find.

You have other options, you can buy a throttle cable clamp from Ehrenberg.

http://tinyurl.com/yjjctzw

340-throt-bracket-kit.jpg

Interesting set-up. Your cable looks shorter. Also interesting set-up with the kickdown. Had any problems with it being on the inside of the linkage?

No problems here, the kick down linkage rod, is not the one that came with the 2bbl on the car;
its one of a pair I bought {by sight} at a swap meet, and hoped that one would work.

These old cars, when modifying, them, sometimes calls for a little thought,
and trial and error.

I am using an Edlebrock # 1406 carb, and drilled the carb linkage hole,
larger to use it for my cable's stud. Why wait for a week for an adaptor from Jegs or Summit when I had a cordless drill here to carefully enlarge the hole slightly.

The linkage doesn't bind, and the kickdown works. :)

The air cleaner base for the old AFB 1965 era carbs will not work on the Edelbrock, so I had to figure out a different base and air filter to use the 1965 California emissions Chrome air cleaner. Notice it has a nipple for the air hose to go to it from the Valve cover breather. ;)

-
Back