Early A windshield replacement. How hard???

-

Reaction score
Well my foggy windshield in my Dart is finally driving me nuts. I have a new gasket, locking strip, and new-used windshield. But I have never changed one before. Ever, on any car. How hard is it???? Do I need to get a Pro to do it?

Thanks!!!

It has been a long time since I put a windshield in. I believe that you clean up well around the frame where the new one will go, put the gasket on the windshield and insert a string in the gasket which will allow you to pull the gasket in place. Sit the windshield in place with the string on the inside of the car. I had someone on the outside to apply some light pressure and I pulled the string working along slowly which brought the gasket in place.
I am sure you will get some better advise, but that is how we did it 25 years ago.

Here's a link that shows the rope method mentioned above. (although it's on some off brand model) I've done a lot of 'em with that method back in the day and it works pretty well. Lube the gasket with some non-pumice Go-Jo to make things a bit easier. It's also easy enough to just set the glass in place and pull the gasket into place with glass tools. These cars are really pretty easy since a lock strip goes in to fill the slack. If you are careful and take your time you should be able to accomplish this easily yourself.
http://www.route66restorations.com/1.html

Find the oldest, crustiest windshield shop in town. Take parts to them. Write a check, leave a 6-pack. Couldn't be easier.

I never used string on my 64 Signet as installing the windshield was simply putting the glass inside the the rubber, putting it in with a couple adjustments on the interior and than installing the locking strip. I think the string is used for windshields without a locking strip.

Oh well, to each his own..

I plan to POR the metal that is covered by the rubber and seal the corners. Maybe even the bottom edge. The rust issues I have are from a windshield leak.

Leaks in the windshield area of these early cars often come from the wiper shaft to cowl seal so it is worth checking these also. Installing the windshield/gasket together using the rope method is the factory process. It is often the only way to get a windshield in with an old gasket. With a new gasket you may have success just inserting the glass into the already mounted rubber/gasket. I like the rope method, but it does work best with another person applying slight pressure.

OK, I'll come right out and ask.,.,.,

I'm about to install the front and rear windows in my '64 Barracuda and have never done this before.

I don't believe that I'll be able to reuse the old gaskets so I'll be buying new.

Do I need to use any type of sealer at all, or will the gasket be enough? Not trying to hijack this thread, just trying to learn.

Thanks,
Dave

Yes you need to seal the rubber gasket to the pinchweld pocket on the car and I like to seal the glass to the rubber gasket too, just to be sure.
I use an original style sealer called butyl rubber windshield sealer. (do not use silicone sealant it will cloud the laminate in the front windshield)
You can get it from a glass shop or I sell it on ebay.

Here is a link to some instructions for re-sealing the glass and installing the lockstrip, along with the factory instuctions.

http://home.comcast.net/~mazmatic/instructions.mht

-
Back