Early A833 4 speed linkage adjustment help

-
I think we're going in circles here. With the R rod disconnected and the R shifter lever pulled back, the path is clear for the bit to pass through the 1-2, 3-4 lever holes to the rear hole, so the holes ARE an index feature for 1-2, 3-4, NOT Reverse. You get reverse rod adjustment by either 1. placing the shifter and trans lever in reverse, and adjust the R rod to fit. Or 2. In neutral, line up the top part of the R shift lever with the same tabs extending down that index the to 1-2, 3-4 levers (which are also indexed by way of inserting the 1/4" drill bit See post #22). Just a side note, I have used both methods for adjusting the R rod, and in both cases, I had to shorten the R rod by one or two turns to eliminate a banging against the R trans lever when going into 2nd or 4th. It's possible my R rod is off a little causing this.
What mounting plate are you using? We are not going in circles. You asked and I told you including digging out a spare 64-65 original Hurst A-Body shifter to take pictures. Why you want to use the 1/4 in hole does not make sense to me, since it does not include the reverse lever. Here is a picture of an original 64-65 shifter, complete with all linkage on a four speed.

P1010006.JPG

What mounting plate are you using? We are not going in circles. You asked and I told you including digging out a spare 64-65 original Hurst A-Body shifter to take pictures. Why you want to use the 1/4 in hole does not make sense to me, since it does not include the reverse lever. Here is a picture of an original 64-65 shifter, complete with all linkage on a four speed.

View attachment 1716117671

I'm using the stock mounting plate as far as I can tell. I prefer to use the index holes because the 1/4" bit holds the 1,2-3,4 levers in proper position (indexed) so my hands are free to fit the 1,2-3,4 rods to the trans, that's all. I understand that using the the tabs as a visual reference will work also, but the holes are there to provide a hard index, so why not use them? As mentioned, the R rod requires one of the two methods I outlined in #25.

-
Back