Early A904 problems

-

azchileman

63DartGT
Reaction score
I have a 1963 Dart that will upshift 1-2, but not 2-3. max governor pressure is about 6 psi. I inspected the governor and rear pump and found no issues. The factory service manual does not show a rear pump pressure tap. Is the plug just forward and slightly above the park cable a rear pump pressure tap?
Does anyone out there have any insights on this problem?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl Smith

did you adjust the linkage to factory specs? my 62 valiant 225 with 1bbl carb had issues until i re-adjusted the linkage-- after some minor tweaking worked great. Lawrence

I checked the throttle linkage and it appears to be okay. I even disconnected the linkage and tied it in the minimum throttle position. Shouldn't that produce the earliest possible shifts?

this is a slant ? that is not how they are adjusted-- there is a hole in the bracket on the firewall--- you put a drill bit the size of the hole & make your adjustments from that,, after I did this for a base I then adjusted, the slide underneath -- do you have a 63 manual? I have a 62 manual & will look up the exact procedure later tonight. Lawrence

I have had the valve body apart (maybe that is a problem) and everything looks good. my focus has been on the governor pressure which will not rise above 6 psi.

I do have the 63 manual. I do not understand how the throttle adjustment can help if I can not get the governor pressure to rise above 6 psi. please enlighten me.

I have had the valve body apart (maybe that is a problem) and everything looks good. my focus has been on the governor pressure which will not rise above 6 psi.

I see your point now. Have you checked any other pressures? If so what is the line pressure? How about the front servo release pressure?

BTW: As per your second post where you said you disconnected the throttle pressure linkage and it still didn't shift, you are correct in thinking that it should shift the quickest with it disconnected and pulled to minimum.

Line pressure is good. Is there any way to check rear pump pressure?
I have excessive output shaft end play (approx 3/16") could that contribute to low gov. pressure?

Line pressure is good. Is there any way to check rear pump pressure?
I have excessive output shaft end play (approx 3/16") could that contribute to low gov. pressure?

There are rings back there on the output shaft for the governor assy.
They may be the problem.

There are rings back there on the output shaft for the governor assy.
They may be the problem.

That's what I was thinking too. The excess play may be a sign of things being loose back there.

Also, the governor support itself is prone to grooves wearing in it where the governor sealing rings ride causing it to not seal good in newer 904's. I haven't had a older 904 apart with a rear pump apart so I'm not sure if their designed the same or not so this may or may not apply to yours. Sorry, I don't know about checking rear pump pressure. Have only worked on newer style 904's.

That's what I was thinking too. The excess play may be a sign of things being loose back there.

Also, the governor support itself is prone to grooves wearing in it where the governor sealing rings ride causing it to not seal good in newer 904's. I haven't had a older 904 apart with a rear pump apart so I'm not sure if their designed the same or not so this may or may not apply to yours. Sorry, I don't know about checking rear pump pressure. Have only worked on newer style 904's.

I was surprised to find out that teflon rings wear the surfaces more than steel rings.
:wack:

-
Back