Early balancer on 360?

-

Blackhatguy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm building a 5.9 to go in my 64 dart, and looking for a balancer with the timing marks on the passenger side, that is either externally balanced or can accept a balance weight. Going to be about 425hp and 6200rpm limit if that matters..

Any suggestions?

I think you will have to mark the damper yourself. If its a magnum rotating assy make sure you have the correct balancer for a magnum as the LA 360 had diffrent balance from the magnum.
my guess is that you are trying to disguise the fact that its a later model engine and want to use the early timing cover and waterpump?

my guess is that you are trying to disguise the fact that its a later model engine and want to use the early timing cover and waterpump?

Precisely, aside from the intake and valve covers and headers, which are a dead giveaway, I'm trying to make it look like a 273 the best I can. Thank you, for making sure I get the right balance, I did not know that there was a balanced difference between the LA and Magnum rotating assemblies. I suppose that is also something I will need to take into consideration whenever I choose the flexplate and torque converter?

The balancer in the picture is from the Magnum, and just there to protect the snout from rust until I can get the right one

0510181624.jpg

You have the right balancer. Just remark it.

You have the right balancer. Just remark it.
That one has the serpentine pulley permanently attached, I can't use it. That's why I'm looking for another, so I can bolt on the V belt pulleys

That one has the serpentine pulley permanently attached, I can't use it. That's why I'm looking for another, so I can bolt on the V belt pulleys

Gotchya. Just make dang SURE you get one balanced for the Magnum, because as stated, they have a balance all their own. I like the direction you're goin but I have to ask......why not run 273 valve covers if you really want to disguise it?

I like the direction you're goin but I have to ask......why not run 273 valve covers if you really want to disguise it?
Nothing more than a liberal dose of Brokenness for the time being. I'm trying to get it running with what I have, and when I come across a good deal on some 273 valve covers later I'll go ahead and snatch them up. I'm also looking for the original helmet Style air cleaner from the 273 Commando but folks are proud of those LOL.

So, now that I know I need a magnum specific harmonic balancer, y'all know of one I can get ahold of that will let me bolt up the V belt pulley to it?

Your stuck with 10 bolt magnum valve covers unless there’s something I don’t know.

Jake

Your stuck with 10 bolt magnum valve covers unless there’s something I don’t know.

Jake

Yup, there's somethin you don't know. lol The LA and Magnum valve covers are completely interchangeable.

So, now that I know I need a magnum specific harmonic balancer, y'all know of one I can get ahold of that will let me bolt up the V belt pulley to it?

I did some quick lookin, and I cannot find a Magnum balancer for use with a V belt pulley. I did see some on Ebay that said they work for 71-95 360 and 5.9, but I am not sure I would trust that, because I am almost positive the LA and Magnums are balanced differently.

The early magnum engines had a separate balancer/pulley setup, mine does and it's a '97. Not sure when they changed tho. One of those style balancers will accept the v-belt pulleys, but the one thing I haven't checked is the thickness of the balancer and how it affects pulley alignment.

If it's a street engine, just get a used 360 Magnum balancer from most any that had a two piece setup, then slot the one odd hole in your v-belt pulley to fit. If it's going to see track use or if the budget allows, get the Professional Products 90012 balancer. It can be run on your Magnum by installing the correct offset weight on the back of the balancer. Weights come with it.
I think the one piece Magnum setup started some time in 1999 model year. I have two 1999 Ram trucks, one with two piece setup, and one with the newer one piece setup.

If it's a street engine, just get a used 360 Magnum balancer from most any that had a two piece setup, then slot the one odd hole in your v-belt pulley to fit. If it's going to see track use or if the budget allows, get the Professional Products 90012 balancer. It can be run on your Magnum by installing the correct offset weight on the back of the balancer. Weights come with it.
I think the one piece Magnum setup started some time in 1999 model year. I have two 1999 Ram trucks, one with two piece setup, and one with the newer one piece setup.
Makes sense now, the balancer I have in the pic came off a 2001 motor and has no bolts in it. I could have sworn my 1996 had some bolts in the hub, so I will look into it.

1993 - 2003 Dodge 360CI Damper Harmonic Balancer Dakota Durango Van Pickup | eBay
Here you go for the damper. you will also need a weighted flex plate or converter if running a automatic. If your running a 727 you may be able to use the original flex plate from the truck engine and a neutral balance converter.
I plan on using a 1964 904 with the push button shift and neutral converter, 2001 5.9 flexplate as long as I see weights on it. See any problems with that setup?

I plan on using a 1964 904 with the push button shift and neutral converter, 2001 5.9 flexplate as long as I see weights on it. See any problems with that setup?
Make sure the register on the torque converter fits the crank, I think the snout was smaller on earlier transmissions, not sure when that changed

splines and snout may be different check both
I know 727's are
I update early pumps and shafts to later
early converters are harder to find and cause confusion down the road

splines and snout may be different check both
I know 727's are
I update early pumps and shafts to later
early converters are harder to find and cause confusion down the road
I talked to a couple of converter places, and they warned me about that too. There was one place that even offered to build a custom converter with a late model front and an early model rear half and weld them together for me but that was going to cost a lot of pretty pennies. That's why I just went with the bushing, so I can use the early Style unmodified.

Not sure if the converter for a 904 will bolt up to the flexplate. there were 2 different dia of bolt pattern. I know there are people on here that know a lot more about this than I do.

-
Back