Early front u-joints

-

tdmer

rpdtrns
Reaction score
My daughters 65 needs the front trundle bearings replaced. Other than cutting and reworking the drive shaft does anyone know a source for parts.

No ideas on a parts source? How about converting to a conventional type of slip yoke on my tail shaft and housing. I had a driveline place quote me almost 500 for a bolt on flange slip yoke. Am I the only one to have this problem?

I had a driveshaft built years ago that they used a 4 wheel drive flange on the driveshaft that bolted to the mopar trans. It only cost $125 then but I bet it would still cost less than tearing into your trans.

Hope this helps,
Mike

I've still got the original driveshaft from my '63 spare. I think it's in ok condition. If you want it you can have it for free.

Well I yanked the drive shaft out tonight and disassembled it. It really didn't look to be inthat bad of condition. The boot is torn so the grease was mostly gone and the rest was all hard so after cleaninf and reassembly I thought it would make a difference. Nope. So Know what? Any suggestions as to what would cuase a strong vibration under acceleration? It smooths out at cruise... :banghead:

check motor mounts/tranny mounts.

Done a tuneup lately?

I had a bad dist cap years ago, that the engine ran fine,
untill going up a steep hill/ under a load,
then the car ran odd.

Keep us updated. Please.

Thanks for the links. The roberts motor parts is what I was hoping for. Thanks for the help And I'll keep you all informed. Cave man I think I'll check the tranny mount. I know the tune is good and besides this thing SHAKES like a really bad u-joint. It's always shook a little but just recently got real bad.
I'm glad I found this board Thanks...

Mine vibrates too if i push up and down on it it moves. seems tight when you get the shaft close to the front of the flange but when it gets where it usually runs it is lose. thanks for the link. I just saw a kit on ebay goint for 115 but it's cheaper on that site. Also they sell the whole darn thing :)

Ft. Wayne Clutch made a slip-joint replacement drive shaft that mates up to the flange on the transmission for my '65 Dart when I installed an 8-3/4 rear.
Much less than $500.
Their contact info is below:

FT WAYNE CLUTCH INC. 2424 Goshen Rd. Ft Wayne. 46803. 260-484-8505.

-
Back