Early LA by pass hoses

-

66dartgt

Reaction score
Hi All:

I posted on the early A body portion of the site about this topic, and got a few replies. Figured this might be the better forum. Here goes:

I am familiar with the later small block by pass hose sizes and the nipple size on the pump and the intake - basically the same as 3/4" steel water pipe (or 1 inch OD).

It appears that the earlier.. meaning pre 67 small blocks use a much smaller outlet OD on the water pump than the inlet to the manifold, in this case the actual dimensions are 1" on the intake and 3/4" on the pump.

The early pumps are castiron and use a threaded in fitting for the by pass connection.

So what this means is one of two things:

1) Either I need a peculiar fitting to bring the pump side up to 1" OD, or...

2) There was a wierd by pass hose made for these motors with a small end on the pump side and a large end for the manifold.

Anybody have some ideas ?

I hate the idea of using a hose clamp to squeeze the snot of the hose to fit it to a nipple thats really too small.

Go down to your local NAPA. On the HELP board they will have hose nipples with various size threaded and hose ends. You should be able to find some thing that will work.

For those interested: I did some research and found that there is a special by pass hose for the earlier LA engines. The inlet on the water pump side is smaller than the inlet on the intake size. Learned something new !

-
Back