Early shifter to lever 904 conversion

-

paulclark

Early A fanatic
Reaction score
What's the current situation as far as options to connect a later lever operated 904 to an early cable style floor shifter? The kind with the disc handle sideways, not the kind with button on top of shifter. (pic of early shifter for reference, not actually mine)

1688430441322.png

PO of my 65 Cuda got as far as installing a later engine and trans, but didn't figure out how to connect them to the shifter.

Here's what I can think of:

Replace early shifter with 66-up shifter - will it fit the early console at all?
Replace early shifter with aftermarket shifter

Are those my only options? Has anyone figured out how to use the early shifter with a later transmission? I saw posts that look like some people have drilled the transmission shift lever, is that a possibility? If so I'd like to hear from someone who has done it before I tackle it.

Thanks!

And a fairly long lead time.
Unless things have changed at Imperial, I waited 3 years and dozens of e-mails with phone calls till I got mine.
They had no problem taking my money day 1. Come on 3 years ??:BangHead:

In my wagon, I use that shifter. We made it Rev pattern for use with a griner trans brake. I used a b&m cable and b&m shiter lever for a mopar as the will have the correct gate throw. Not too hard to do.

-
Back