Early vs. Late 8.25” driveshaft ?’s

-

go-fish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Quick down and dirty:

I am looking at an 8-1/4 for sale that is from a Dakota. It has a Sure Grip and 3.21 ratio. New bearings. A-body spring perches. Sounds like a great deal to me.
I have a 1973 Duster with a single leg, 2.71 gear.

Is this a straight swap? I am worried the driveshaft length may be different. I searched high and low for a correct driveshaft and finally found one for my A833/8-1/4” combo.

If I can’t use that driveshaft with the late model rearend then I will just buy a Sure Grip for the existing rear. If the driveshaft is compatible I think it’s something I’ll buy.

Also, are the widths the same?

Thanks

Your driveshaft should be fine lengthwise, my only question would be the U joint sizes.
The Dakota rear is wider, IIRC by about 2" or so... so you'll need more backspacing on your wheels. And although the spring perches may be A body spacing, be aware that if the rear is out of a 4x4 Dak the perches will be on top of the differential.

I did a little more research and found that the Dak rears are over 6" wider than the A-body 8.25.
Sounds like a no-go for me.

I did a little more research and found that the Dak rears are over 6" wider than the A-body 8.25.
Sounds like a no-go for me.
Just get the sawzall out. I mean what the hell? You'd think it was a slam rusted up rear end or somethin?

Sorry. It was wide open. lol

-
Back